RIP John Surtees

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
The great Ferrari driver John Surtees passed away this morning.

If you haven't read A.J. Baime's book "Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari, and Their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans," it's definitely worth checking out. Great stories about Surtees and of course all the GT40 drivers.

Last edited:

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Sad to see when an important participant in a historical story passes away. Great Book.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
One of the few greats who won gran prix motorcycle and car races/championships

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Seven motorcycle championships and one F1. Baime's book is good in telling how badly Enzo treated/bullied/"motivated" Surtees. He was an incredible driver in his day, along with Jimmy Clark. RIP Sir John.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
He was one of the greats...

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
John Surtees was one of my heros. He raced and won on motorbikes, formula cars, just about anything he drove. I have a limited edition print of him racing a Ferrari at Spa, which is prominently displayed at my home in Ohio.

I had the great pleasure to meet and talk with him twice. He was a real gentleman and the only man to win both motorcycle and F1 championships. He started his career on a Vincent, had a wonderful Black Lightning, and also sold a really nice 5 speed Vincent gearbox conversion. I doubt there will ever be anyone to match his record.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
sad news indeed. Great survivor of an era when many did not. thanks for the post..

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas

Very famous photo of him in the Telegraph article. I love the look of the dustbin fairings they used on the bikes back then!

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
One of the few greats who won gran prix motorcycle and car races/championships
and Mike Hailwood...."Mike the bike"

1969 3rd place at LeMans in a GT-40, and a great motorcycle career. One of my heros.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
The great Ferrari driver John Surtees passed away this morning.

If you haven't read A.J. Baime's book "Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari, and Their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans," it's definitely worth checking out. Great stories about Surtees and of course all the GT40 drivers.

I'm reading that book right now! Amazing story about John.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk