Original Bullit Mustang

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
So according to today's news Steve McQueen's Bullitt Mustang from the movie has been found in original condition in Mexico and is on it's way to a new owner in the US for a full restoration. IMO this car perfectly fits the profile for a car that shouldn't be restored, unless they imply to return it to the as-filmed condition. Making it shiny, straight, and new will destroy its character.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enth...s-later/ar-AAnGrhj?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp
Capture4.JPG

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I recall that the original's location was known and documented some years ago. He supposedly worked for the studio and bought the car (there were two, one was pretty wrecked and scrapped) and stored it since. Supposed to be up in the northeast somewhere. So is this the second car that was supposed to have been destroyed?

Either way, both cars were fairly butchered. There were two cars: One has the inside rear view mirror the other one doesn't. McQueen is driving the one with the inside mirror. Stunt driver Bill Hickman the one without. The Hickman car had the rear seats out for camera mounts and may have even had camera mounts on the rear fender area. I think the McQueen car also had camera mounts. The "value" of the cars unrestored is for nostalgia. Even the GT40 camera cars have been restored.

Last edited:

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I restored mustangs for over 30 years and I agree, this car should not be touched. it's like a 1968 1/2 CJ Lightweight Mustang (1 of 50) I just seen for sale for $285,000.00. the car was an absolute race car but that's what it was supposed to be and should be left alone. But there again I've seen some incredible restored original cars by an owner on this site and his cars are fantastic. Guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. just like the green hornet Shelby Mustang. that car was totally restored as well. I've never seen the original Bullitt car but I sure know the car that got all the hype on the TV show Blue Bloods last year was certainly NOT the original car. it was so wrong it was laughable.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Lost "Bullitt" Ford Mustang allegedly found in Mexico

I love reading stories like this and wanted to share it:

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/03/02/lost-bullitt-ford-mustang-allegedly-found-in-mexico.html

Planecrazy232

GT Owner
Nov 28, 2012
Cape Coral, FL
Even "cared for" Mustangs rusted away. Imagine what this must look like?? They didn't put the picture on a can of bondo for looks..

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I have merged jbyrnes & Special K's two threads about the same topic.

Chip