Ferrari Approved Mileage Rollbacks?

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Can this be true?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ses-device-roll-mileage-salesman-accuses.html

FTA: "Root claims he was fired after discovering the use of a device designed by the famed car manufacturer in Italy that is capable of rolling back the digital odometers of Ferraris for sale in the lucrative pre-owned market.
Ferrari of Palm Beach salesman Root says the practice - which can only occur if Ferrari headquarters green-lights it electronically - allows well-heeled owners to sell their prized wheels to unsuspecting buyers at grossly inflated prices."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-mileage-salesman-accuses.html#ixzz4a11xnrw7
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Those are explosive allegations. While not out of the realm of possibility, I would find it hard to believe the factory would participate. No motive. An unscrupulous dealer on the other hand....

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Those are explosive allegations. While not out of the realm of possibility, I would find it hard to believe the factory would participate. No motive. An unscrupulous dealer on the other hand....

I read this yesterday and thought the same thing. Hard to believe the factory would get involved in this.

Vince H

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Considering they number the limited edition cars with plaques that all say the same thing and then build more...

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
I thought the same. More counter evidence is the paper service documentation that would contradict the speedo readings. I would be highly surprised if this turns out true. Brand reputation gone in 3 - 2 - 1

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Considering they number the limited edition cars with plaques that all say the same thing and then build more...

Ouch

Vince H

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

Had not heard that. I don't pay much attention to Ferrari-land. The douchebaggery is too much for me.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
based on some of the sales games they play I would not doubt that it's true.

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2017/2/...ack-Odometers-For-Higher-Sale-Prices-7738029/

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Had not heard that. I don't pay much attention to Ferrari-land. The douchebaggery is too much for me.

Im with you on that. Nothing really excites me about a Ferrari least of all their sales people.

based on some of the sales games they play I would not doubt that it's true.

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2017/2/...ack-Odometers-For-Higher-Sale-Prices-7738029/

I hate it when they do stuff like that but they are not alone in that arena

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

The cars are always badged "1 of XXX" with no 2 of xxx or 3 of xxx. Everyone knows the numbers are bullshit. They all say the same thing so who will prove it? Certainly less than market demand, but still, silly game.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

A device does exist to set digital odometers to any mileage and every manufacturer of cars and motorcycles uses them. When an odometer fails and a new one is installed the mileage is set to the actual mileage on the vehicle. The odometer on my Harley Davidson Road King failed and a new one was installed. The dealership set the mileage to match the old odometers reading. Ford dealers can do the same thing. Perhaps manufacturers must provide a code or something like that. But there is no payoff to Ferrari in such a scam and there is huge liability. I'm not a Ferrari fan but what probably happened here is a dealership mechanic or perhaps somebody higher up at the dealership agreed to program an odometer at a lower mileage in exchange for cash. I don't doubt this happened but I seriously doubt Ferrari itself is a party to this. That's this ex-auto dealers take on it.

Chip