Penske suspension...too hard ?

Ducati

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2017
Evening.....I have just purchased a GT in the UK and it has Penske suspension. I have been told by GT 101 it is a bit on the firm side. Anyone have these fitted & are they quite easy to soften up ?

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
I do not, but congrats on the purchase and welcome to the Forum. (I have Scott Ahlman's two way package and it's one of the best mods I have ever done.)

Vince H

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Hi and welcome. The Penske's should be adjustable. Do you know who the previous owner acquired the system from?

Ducati

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2017
Hi and welcome. The Penske's should be adjustable. Do you know who the previous owner acquired the system from?

Will try & find out

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
In my humble opinion, the Penske's are a great race shock but not such a good shock for the street. They are designed to be rebuild-able and they can be re-valved, etc. Also, for many years it was the upgrade shock of choice for the GTs - when there were few, if any, non-OEM choices available. For track use - properly valved (which most were for the GT) they are wonderful.

On the downside, we had MANY owners complain of clunks and squeaks from this set-up and several thought they were a bit harsh. Several of the Penske owners "upgraded" to the Ohlins (like Vince commented above) which, IMO, is a no-compromise shock.... but the price is not for the timid.

Ducati

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2017
In my humble opinion, the Penske's are a great race shock but not such a good shock for the street. They are designed to be rebuild-able and they can be re-valved, etc. Also, for many years it was the upgrade shock of choice for the GTs - when there were few, if any, non-OEM choices available. For track use - properly valved (which most were for the GT) they are wonderful.

On the downside, we had MANY owners complain of clunks and squeaks from this set-up and several thought they were a bit harsh. Several of the Penske owners "upgraded" to the Ohlins (like Vince commented above) which, IMO, is a no-compromise shock.... but the price is not for the timid.

Do you know if they are a straightforward adjustment to soften ?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I thought the Penske clunking came from the Heim joint mounting/connecting points?

Do the Ohlins not have that?

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
The Penske shocks themselves are great and can be adjusted easily. I believe the issue with harshness is due to the bump stops. When the car is lowered drastically and driven on rough roads, they will bottom out easily. I slightly lifted the car to keep this from happening and it has made a significant difference in ride quality.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I've used them.. I liked them .. with that said the roads in Florida are glass smooth.. They were are set up for Street and track so stiffer springs are implied with the change . Alex from the USA tuned his to be stiffer for the track but ok for street use.. Not sure how yours are valved and what springs you have so any comparison could be a moot point

Last edited:

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I totally agree with all comments above. the Penske set up is great but does seem a little harsh even in the soft setting. For the track it's perfect but for crappy roads like we have in Michigan, not so much. one of my cars has the Penske set up and another one has Alex's lowering kit using the stock shocks and springs. even that car seemed to absorb a lot of road input being lowered and changing the geometry. I agree as well the bump stops is what the issues are.
I took the lowering kit off and put that car back stock. the extra 1" in height doesn't make the car look that much different plus I'm not scraping the front splitter or rear diffuser everytime I go up my slight angled driveway. jmo

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I have Penske shocks on my white GT which saw quite a bit of track duty. They are superb on track, but a bit more harsh on the road. The primary reason for the harshness is the solid heir joint connection. They are adjustable for damping rates and new spring rates are easily switched out they offer quite a bit of adaptability, but are not as compliant as stock. I really love my set up even on bumpy Ohio roads, but then again, I like torture.

Ducati

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2017
Thanks for all the comments guys, will get GT101 to put on softest setting & see how I get on.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I have had the Penske's & the Öhlins on my GT. The Penske's seal technology is full race car. They will need to be serviced at least once a year. Fluid will be low. Both shocks are external adjustable but a shock tech can also set the internals up for your use. Spring rate is important for your use.

I prefer the Öhlins as Scott really has them dialed in for our GTs. I have mine set up more for the road but they work great on the track also. I donated my Penske's for my friend's Daytona Prototype race car. I'm suppose to get my name on his race car now!

Ed

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
do you have after market wheels/tires?
Try oem wheels and bstones first....

Ducati

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2017
do you have after market wheels/tires?
Try oem wheels and bstones first....

Car has HRE split rims, with Bridgestones

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
If they are low profile could be a much rougher ride...

Ducati

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2017
If they are low profile could be a much rougher ride...

Am not certain of tyre profile, but am sure they will be low