2017 Ford GT Filmed driving near Big Sur

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Very difficult to positively identify the driver, but after watching several times on YouTube in full screen mode it looks to me like it could very well be Billy Johnson. He does a lot of this type of thing for Ford and I know for a fact that he's been at Sebring this week driving the Competition GT for photo shoots and for a Michelin Tire video.

Not saying it's 100% Billy...just that he looks closest to who I could see driving...in my opinion.

Welcome and thanks for the information.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
He was out there, but I don't think he had arrived yet when they shot that.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
The bridge they drove over on highway 1 has partially collapsed this week from all the rains. The supports holding up the bridge started giving way and a portion of the highway is now closed... most likely for some time.

View attachment 45491

That bridge will be out for sometime, estimated over a year. The embankment, on both ends, sluiced away and the "new" camber caused the breakage. And there are others in the same area that may be deemed unsafe. PCH, as we know it, will be a dead end both going North and South. Massively expensive. Just read that California estimates over $1 billion in storm damages since the first of the year.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
That bridge will be out for sometime, estimated over a year. The embankment, on both ends, sluiced away and the "new" camber caused the breakage. And there are others in the same area that may be deemed unsafe. PCH, as we know it, will be a dead end both going North and South. Massively expensive. Just read that California estimates over $1 billion in storm damages since the first of the year.

The filming was on the famous Bixby Bridge. The bridge that is storm damaged is the Pfeiffer Bridge which is 50 miles south of Monterey. Cal Trans has done amazing stuff on Hwy 1 & reports they hope to have it ready later this year.

My fun drive is from Monterey to Big Sur for lunch. It's a 100 mile round trip but takes at least 2 hours of driving & you turn around before the Pfeiffer Bridge. I hardly drive over the Pfeiffer Bridge unless I take Hwy 1 down to SoCal. The world famous Bixby Bridge is intact & open for use!

Ed

Hans Efde

Jan 16, 2016
Top Gear episode with the 2017 GT review will air April 2 on BBC2 (probably on BBC America 1 day later).

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I'll be watching it!

Ed

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
Top Gear episode with the 2017 GT review will air April 2 on BBC2 (probably on BBC America 1 day later).

I guess this will be the first driving impression review given on the new GT ? Has Ford asked the owners that have received their cars to hold back giving their impressions until the TV and print reviews have been released ? I imagine that would be hard to hold back after the excitement of the first drives !

Waiting for any scraps of news.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
I guess this will be the first driving impression review given on the new GT ? Has Ford asked the owners that have received their cars to hold back giving their impressions until the TV and print reviews have been released ? I imagine that would be hard to hold back after the excitement of the first drives !

Waiting for any scraps of news.

I would place more trust in the reviews done by people on this forum than I would any magazine writer or TV "personality".

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Will be great to see one in action.

Topnotch

Dec 2, 2015
[video=youtube;nl1ppxbL7AI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl1ppxbL7AI[/video]

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter