Ceramic Brakes, Revisited

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
So I've been doing my research on a set of carbon brakes for my '05 garage queen. I've tried to read every thread I can find on them, and here are my remaining questions:

Parts required:

Front ZR-1 Rotor and Caliper x2
Rear ZR-1 Rotor and Caliper x2
GT front uprights (modified) x2
Brake lines x4
Wheels that will clear larger calipers

What am I missing?

I have deduced that the carbon rotors are about 15 pounds lighter per corner than the steelies. Am I off on this?

Thanks guys

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Speak with Stormy the ceramic brake guru. He has done it and Rocketman and I believe Mark McGowan have pounded his car to their delight.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I've driven stormcats car on track as well, it stops very well.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
StormCat is THE expert. Remember emergency brake.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
It's not that easy,, the guys who modified / welded to the cast Aluminum knuckles went a different route.. . My set up is completely bolt on...

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have driven Stormcat car at every rally that we have had a track event at.It is simply awesome!
Stormcat rules!

Last edited:

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
So I've been doing my research on a set of carbon brakes for my '05 garage queen. I've tried to read every thread I can find on them, and here are my remaining questions:

Parts required:

Front ZR-1 Rotor and Caliper x2
Rear ZR-1 Rotor and Caliper x2
GT front uprights (modified) x2
Brake lines x4
Wheels that will clear larger calipers

What am I missing?

I have deduced that the carbon rotors are about 15 pounds lighter per corner than the steelies. Am I off on this?

Thanks guys

But the Corvette calipers are heavier than the Ford Brembos.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
But the Corvette calipers are heavier than the Ford Brembos.

I think you are correct. It's the reduction in rotational weight that we are after here.

BTW, I had a nice conversation with Stormcat and got more education on the matter. When it comes to stuff like this, I appreciate the trailblazers and am grateful to learn from them. I don't have to be the smartest guy in the room, I just have to KNOW the smartest guy in the room.. :)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The calipers are unsprung weight which isn't as bad a rotating and unsprung, but worst than sprung weight when in comes to dynamic handling.