Help with radio - macintosh

Chempowr

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2014
Houston, TX
My radio does not work. It turns in but just static. Any thoughts? I checked all fuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
if you want to make sure you can swap it out with mine to see if its the stereo or something else

Chempowr

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2014
Houston, TX
if you want to make sure you can swap it out with mine to see if its the stereo or something else

Thanks! I may take you up on that. Is it an easy swap?

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
if you have the tool and the know how yes, if you don't it will take two hours , don't ask me how i know.

Chempowr

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2014
Houston, TX
Lol. I will txt you

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The tool is a standard din removal shim. I've seen them at frys and best buy

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Is there a repair center for our units if we should ever need one?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
That's a great question, Mcintosh is still in business, but has undergone one (maybe 2, can't remember when DM bought them) ownership changes since the GT program. heck mine might be broken, I have no idea, I never use it.

Chempowr

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2014
Houston, TX
The tool is a standard din removal shim. I've seen them at frys and best buy

Thank you

Chempowr

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2014
Houston, TX
That's a great question, Mcintosh is still in business, but has undergone one (maybe 2, can't remember when DM bought them) ownership changes since the GT program. heck mine might be broken, I have no idea, I never use it.

Mines been down too since 2014 lol

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Mines been down too since 2014 lol

I have the tool if you need to use it

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
The Ford dealer authorized radio repair company is United Radio in Pennsylvania. their number is 800-448-0944. most radio repairs at a dealer are sent to them. please post your findings with them. there are several of us who need radio repair on the forum. scott

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
OK here is the deal, I just called McIntosh, all of their 12v service is handled by George Meyer AV In CA

310-820-1113

http://www.georgemeyer-av.com/

From their site:

Car audio

All car audio repairs are completed at our West Jefferson Boulevard location.
George Meyer AV is the only factory authorized service center in the U.S. for McIntosh car audio equipment.
$75 car audio equipment estimate fee, which is applied to the repair cost.
See drop off and shipping details below.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
My radio does not work. It turns in but just static. Any thoughts? I checked all fuses.

Sounds to me like the radio is working and maybe just the antenna came unhooked.

Chempowr

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2014
Houston, TX
Sounds to me like the radio is working and maybe just the antenna came unhooked.

That would be great! It stopped working after a bump in the road. I will look into that. Thank you.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
That would be great! It stopped working after a bump in the road. I will look into that. Thank you.

wait is the cd player working?

you might (I'm not sure) be able to reach the back of the unit to check to see if the antenna is connected you would have to reach around the back i forget what side the antenna connection is on someone that has one out can take a look real quick

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
While you are there dig out the AUX input.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The first (and easiest) thing to check is the antenna lead at the windshield. Mine fell off. I re-glued it with "Permatex 21351 Electrically Conductive Rear Window Defogger Tab Adhesive."

The GT Guys say they reject a lot of new windshields, because they arrive with the antenna lead snap button detached.

Last edited:

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
The McIntosh optioned cars have an RF preamp located in the headliner near the antenna connections. I do not know if the non McIntosh (Rockford/Fosgate) cars have this preamp. It will need 12 volts to power it. I have not seen this preamp and was told about this from an engineer at McIntosh Labs that worked on the project with Ford engineers. This preamp was needed to improve radio reception. I never saw any mention of this in the service or wiring diagram manuals. Can anyone else provide info on this?

Jay

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
The radio acts up with a weak battery; especially if GT is started recently after non-use or very old battery.

I would expect no sound v. static (which I had) with a weak battery and loose ground-strap.

Put it on a the OEM trickle charger and re-tighten the battery ground-strap, before tearing it out. My radio issued cleared up in 2011 and fine ever since.

Also, note if check-engine or doors/mirrors act up with weaker battery.