The Supercar Conundrum and the NGT

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
For the last two years or so, I have gone through periodic skepticism about the supercar merry go round. I've alluded to it here, but never really explored it. Many of you know what I'm talking about; the never ending quest to have the latest, bestest, fastest, coolest offering. For me, the existential crises began when I sold my Carrera GT and Ford GT in pursuit of the Next Big Thing. That didn't happen, but along the way, I bought a new McLaren 12C. That car was fantastic -- a real game changer, and it altered the way I looked at and felt about the modern sports car. There was just one little problem: it was called the 650S. That car was announced, and the 12C, as much as I loved it, seemed...stale. So, I traded the 12C, took a financial lashing, and embraced the 650S. Yes, it was better, faster, leaner, meaner. It was awesome...until the 675 was announced. My outstanding dealer called and asked if I wanted to have one of the first ones out, and of course, I said yes. Another financial whipping ensued. But man, was that car cool. I mean really, really, cool and really, really, fast. It was the car I decided I could keep forever. But then...three numbers...720. Do I need to go on?

Meanwhile, there was this other nagging and inconvenient truth that began to hijack my mental sharing time: Sir, suppose you DO keep the 675LT forever. Pray tell how you will pay for out-of-warranty repairs? How will you deal with, say, a transmission issue requiring a complete replacement of the sealed, unserviceable gearbox? Will you pay the equivalent of two new Toyotas to keep the thing going? And if you don't repair/replace the dang thing, what will you do with your $400,000 carbon fiber wonder? Maybe use it as a boat anchor? Well, responded the guy car side of me, how 'bout this: just make sure you don't own one of these supermodels without a warranty. Which means, Sir, that you need to just get the newest, bestest, fastest model before the prior one goes out of warranty. That, then, takes us to to aforementioned conundrum. If you are anything less than super- stupid- wealthy, it costs a fortune to upgrade cars every 14 months, whether it be a Ferrari, a Lamborghini, or a McLaren. I had to jump off the merry go round because I was beginning to notice that I was naked and everyone else, especially the guys who were selling me the cars, were dressed.

I need to pause for a moment here and take great care to clarify something that is very important to me: this is NOT a rant against McLaren, I have been the recipient of all of their fabulous hospitality in England on four different occassions. They are among the world's finest engineers. They build cars which are simply astounding feats of skill and imagination. Their cars work, and mine were comparatively trouble free. When they weren't, they were fixed promptly and thoroughly. I cannot and will not blame McLaren for releasing new cars, each one better than the last. McLaren is a car company. They are in the business of building and selling cars. I get that. I applaud it. But I simply can't keep up with it. There are plenty of guys who can, and to them I say go on wif yor bad selfs.

So, just as I was grappling with these thoughts, the application process began for the New Ford GT. I was smitten with the car, besotted if truth be told. I completed an incredibly persuasive and articulate essay on why I thought I should have a new Ford GT. I never submitted it. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Man, do I love that car. Man, do I want one of them. Man, am I thrilled every time that magnificent V6 gives a wholesale spankin' to the yurrupeans. Instead, I took a big retro-step. I went back, back, back, to a simpler time. To a car that I really can keep forever and which I won't want to replace every 14 months.

So here are my questions, and I'd sincerely like to hear the responses from the FGT community. Have any of you ever felt this way, and if so, how did you deal with it? For those of you guys who are waiting for the New FGT, what are your thoughts? If you knew that Ford planned to replace it with a newer, faster, better car in 14 months (which I do not think is even remotely on the table) would it change the way you look at it? Hmmm...

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
First, let me say your writing and reviews made me buy my first GT . Since it was my first super car, I've searched and searched for a better car. I don't have the means to have the latest greatest but I am trying to find "that" car. I would love to have a new FGT, but I wasn't selected. I thought speed might do it for me so I bought a TT Viper that made close to 1000 on pump. It was fun but got old. I really figured out what "driving experience " meant when I got a Diablo Roadster. It's slow it's simple but WOW... made me really understand iconic. I love this car. I think the FGT and Diablo are heaven on earth.

I have a Factory Five Cobra that has a 675hp NA small block that goes 0-60 in less than 3 secs. It puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel.

I wish I could have a 488.. 675lt,, new FGT, but not sure I would get rid of any thing I have.

Every day I scour eBay or craigslist looking for a car better than what I have. Not sure why when I'm blessed with some awesome cars.

I'm with you. How do we stop??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Fantastic writing, as always.

Some complex and emotional issues, with factual and economic components and then the compelling factor of personal choice. Can't help much with that.

My solution is to go back to proven ground and purchase a timeless '05 or '06. While it may no longer be a supercar, it sure is a SUPER car!

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
First let me say, with age you'll grow out if it! ha There is no way you can always own The fastest, neatest , stylish and latest thing on the street because manufacturers will always improve on their products to take our money and minds. You can't stay ahead of them. Don't try unless you have more money than sense. Good luck trying.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
McLaren's are cool & fast but the prices tank. If they would hold their value or go up you would be in a better position Mitty & not be so "naked" (I love your analogy). I have a friend on this forum that kicks himself now for not applying for the NGT. However, you & he have the best car out there: the '05-06 GT. Forever cool & it won't leave you without clothes!

Ed

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Great advice regardless of your faith:

1 Timothy 6:6-7
But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we will carry nothing out.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Im a value for your money kind of a guy, and by that definition I will never buy a car knowing I will have to sell or trade it in for the next big thing in 14 month and take beating on the trade. I usually never buy brand new in the first place anyway I feel i get much more value for my money if I buy used. IF my allocation for the NFGT comes to fruition this will be only the second car I have purchased brand new. The first one was a bmw M5 that I leased for three years and it made sense at the time to do that. (I have purchased about 20 cars all together over the years) I don't have to have the latest and the fastest, Im not an early adopter by any means. some people are, they have to have the latest at any cost. If thats your thing that great. if you have that much money to continually lose 30 to 40K on your trades every 14 month Im a little jealous that you have that much money to burn ;) I would personally never do that. Have i lost money on cars? plenty of times. A big part of the reason I bought the 05 ford gt was because I realized even at 180K there is good value, but I never thought there is good value because the price might go up I genuinely thought I would get 180K worth of enjoyment out of the car even if I don't make a dollar back and so far i feel like I have received every pennys worth, so much so that as soon as I realized how much value there was in that car I bought a second one, and almost bought a third but alas Im not a baby boomer and my senses kicked in and said enough is enough. I wish they hadn't. The GT has timeless lines, easy to maintain, plenty of performance, simple to work on and repair, and cool factor off the charts.(not to mention a badass forum with great bunch of guys) for me the car was clearly underpriced and current market trends seems to agree with me. Besides my black GT will leave a Bugatti Veyron in the dust in the mile, so I guess what I said about not needing to have the fasted was just a little lie:) talk about value for your money where else can you have a 1000plus hp super car for the kind of money we spend on our GTs? not to mention that even if you break that 1000 hp car if wont cost an arm and leg to fix it!!! the 0506 GT is by far and I mean by far the greatest bang for the buck supercar in the last 10 years and even still.

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
Mr Mitty
I completely understand. I too have lost a big chunk of change on outdated exotics. Only way around it is frankly to stop buying new. A local high end dealer suggested I just accept the steep depreciation curve and assume a 20-30k loss a year and chuck it up to "hobby" costs. I simply decided to stop buying altogether.
I know I'm preaching to the choir but in my particular case, the only car I've truly ever loved is my 05 FGT. Sure I was an early adopter and payed way way more than sticker but 12 years later the love affair is still special to me. Nothing else I've owned will ever compare except when I get my 18 NFGT. That is assuming I can fit in it.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
For me its simple, I bought the 05 new, it was a "swing for the fence" purchase. I bought it 1st because it was a Ford, and second, because I knew there was not going to be another to quickly replace it. Here comes the 2017, I'm swinging for the fence, again. And also again, I would not even ponder this car, if it wasn't a Ford. I can't keep up with the latest and greatest super car of the moment, neither emotionally or fiscally. Im OK with that.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
1 Timothy 6:6-7
But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we will carry nothing out.

Don Henley: Gimme What You Got

"...you don't see no hearses with luggage racks."

Not usually anyway.

hearse.jpg

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Wow, cannot imagine taking a financial hit like that on every car, but it is "all relative"! Never will sell my 05! Gives me a rush every time I drive it and the design will never get old! I am hoping the NGT wil age as well! Getting the latest and fastest for me not important because can only drive on the street so fast and for regular track duty I prefere something less costly to maintain. My 2 cents anyway!

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009
To have the latest and greatest is an exercise in futility from a financial standpoint. My preference has always been to own low production vehicles with timeless styling. While the 05/06 cars are not all that rare, they do have the timeless styling aspect covered in spades.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I went through two of the cars you mention in rapid succession; have too many cars now; but just bought an S63 AMG and waiting on the NFGT. About every other day I say to myself " why?" , and still no answer.

You'd think a reasonably well educated person at some point would get over the same person saying he can't pay you more than 60% of the car's purchase price five months, and 3500 miles after he sold it to you above sticker. But, sure enough I keep coming back for more. You don't want to let the guys down at the local Cars & Coffee.

In the end, my long suffering wife hit the nail on the head saying, " you love the hunt more than you love the car." It's calling and emailing the dealer over and over, reading up, checking the specs. Then, a month later I have the latest, greatest Lambo in the garage and I have to remind myself it's there.

Part of my problem was growing up in a family that loved cars , but couldn't afford them . I would tell myself " someday". Once I started....

Anyway , this has been a painful self analysis sadly resulting in no improvement. I'll go back to reading the DuPont Registry.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Have any of you ever felt this way, and if so, how did you deal with it? For those of you guys who are waiting for the New FGT, what are your thoughts? If you knew that Ford planned to replace it with a newer, faster, better car in 14 months (which I do not think is even remotely on the table) would it change the way you look at it? Hmmm...

I've given a lot of thought to this, mostly because I've always been interested in more cars than I could afford or was willing to buy. When I bought my Ford GT, I was also considering a variety of other purchases but just couldn't get comfortable with the depreciation curve of the Italian exotics (advice from a friend: Wait until the Ferrari goes down by half, then buy). And while it's nice to have the newest, fastest thing out there, here's the honest truth: These days, EVERYTHING is fast. The question is, how do you FEEL when you're driving it?

So I bought the Ford GT and have loved every day of it. I hope to get a year 4 allocation of the NFGT, but we'll see. And as for whether a newer, faster version would change things for me, I doubt it. By the time the 4th year cars are out, something probably will be faster. Maybe I'd want that car, too. But they're all different so I doubt I would love the cars I have any less.

I would never disparage folks that want the latest thing--that's what makes an economy and populates the market with Ferraris that eventually are half priced! I don't do that, but I do some racing, which is not a hobby that you get into to save money. So we all spend in different ways, which is absolutely a-OK.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I ordered my 12c sight unseen, the sheer heritage of the company made me want it. The reality of ownership has been different to the prospect, however. McLaren have partially recognized some of the issues you raise, and apparently have commited to 12 years of warranty, so at least ongoing ownership costs will be manageable; certainly I'd never think of keeping mine without full warranty.
But I think the whole issue of supercar ownership turns on my first point, you have to want a car because it speaks to you, not because it might be a good investment, or is the fastest/quickest, etc. I bought my GT at the car's lowest point in its value, but I bought it because it's a friggin' Ford GT, man. It is, in my mind, the coolest car ever built, mostly because of its well-known heritage and history. It will be the same with the new one. If Ford had attempted to build a new GT without it being part of a serious racing program, then I'm pretty sure it would not have been such a huge success with thousands lining up to get one. The fact that this new car is repeating the glorious history of its predecessor is a massive part of its cache and desirability. Sure, the new 720 from Mac will probably kick its ass in a year or so, but that McLaren is just the 'next supercar', not an icon.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Your perspective is skewed by the fact you've been buying McLarens and how punitive it is to buy them new. If you'd forever been on the merry go round buying specialty Ferraris or Porsches, you wouldn't think twice. Imagine having bought a 918 and gotten allocations for GT4, GT3, GT3 RS, 911R, etc. Oof. The 918 would practically be free just selling the others back to the dealer. I would continue to approach buying McLarens with an "until proven otherwise" attitude.

Ford GTs are cars built at a moment in time for a very specific purpose. The 05/06 was greenlit as a celebration of company history for the Centennial. Minus the Centennial, that car would not have happened. Likewise, the 17 would not have happened if not for the 50th of the 1-2-3. Ford typically does not have the appetite for risk associated with cars like the GT, and we're lucky that the current boss is certainly the most performance-centric PD guy in my lifetime, and probably ever, at just the right time.

We live in an era where we're spoiled for choice. It cracks me up when people argue about the minutiae between all these various supercars (mostly people who have driven none and will never own any). The truth is all of them are awesome. Huracan = awesome. 650S = awesome. 488 = awesome. R8 = awesome. NSX = awesome. But they are all very similar in their pursuit of usability. They are all stupid fast but daily driver usable, which ultimately is a positive and negative. Positive because you can sell them to more people, negative because the cars have lost their sense of occasion.

The new GT doesn't make that compromise. The pursuit for GT was to perform a superior platform for a race car. In turn, the road car feels like a race car. The seating position and view out is pure race car. You will not mistake it as being a capable grocery getter. There's a point in production where they could take what is being constructed as a road car and just ship it off to be completed as the GTLM race car. My guess is that this raw nature and its pure driving dynamics will make the GT more desirable long term. And I know this sounds ridiculous given the price, but when you see the car apart, I really do think people will realize that they are getting value relative to the market.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
It will be interesting to revisit this thread in the future.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
For the last two years or so, I have gone through periodic skepticism about the supercar merry go round. I've alluded to it here, but never really explored it. Many of you know what I'm talking about; the never ending quest to have the latest, bestest, fastest, coolest offering. For me, the existential crises began when I sold my Carrera GT and Ford GT in pursuit of the Next Big Thing. That didn't happen, but along the way, I bought a new McLaren 12C..............................the responses from the FGT community. Have any of you ever felt this way, and if so, how did you deal with it? For those of you guys who are waiting for the New FGT, what are your thoughts? If you knew that Ford planned to replace it with a newer, faster, better car in 14 months (which I do not think is even remotely on the table) would it change the way you look at it? Hmmm...

I understand your thought process and have just one question.....................what # wifey are you on currently?

(No disparagement intended. Just want to know what 'social club' you frequent that provides the necessary volume of selections)

Last edited:

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
I understand your thought process and have just one question.....................what # wifey are you on currently?

Ok that was funny! # 2 for me. This could make for another interesting thread!

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Shockingly, for me--the original wife for 34 years! Over that period I have traveled constantly, missing birthdays and kids' games and having transporters show up at 2 am unloading cars. Canonization.