Anyone know the Alternator Output

samson

GT Owner
Nov 3, 2014
Harrogate TN
Trying to find out the factory Alternator Specs, been having charging issues and think I may have overloaded the rating of the Ford GT Alternator. I will be trying to add up all the extras I have running to see if its close or more than the alternator out put. Within minutes the alternator is too hot to touch. Is there an upgrade alternator with more output for our cars?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
What could you possibly be adding to consume so much power?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I'm just guessing from what I remember reading the spec to be about 100 amp alt. But even if what I remember reading is true it quite meaningless without a graph showing alt current and voltage outputs over a range of RPMs.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
One thought is that your alternator may have one or more shorted diodes internally. This would reduce the output while causing it to rapidly heat up.

Jay

Tipo874

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Tucson, AZ
I seem to remember 130 AMP. I looked on the box but it doesn't say.

samson

GT Owner
Nov 3, 2014
Harrogate TN
It has 2 upgraded fuel pumps in the tank and a boost-a-pump. Then 2 fuel pumps in a surge tank added on. We have an oil return pump on the twin turbo setup. Also have a Motec ECU added onto the factory harness. Not counting that the car already has a lot of stuff factory

samson

GT Owner
Nov 3, 2014
Harrogate TN
Jay,

We are on the 3rd alternator and starting to think that we have more demand than supply at this point. The alternators get hot quick, seems to work fine as long as we are moving and driving more, but is still under half way on the voltage meter on the dash and under 12v with a voltage tester

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
It has 2 upgraded fuel pumps in the tank and a boost-a-pump. Then 2 fuel pumps in a surge tank added on. We have an oil return pump on the twin turbo setup. Also have a Motec ECU added onto the factory harness. Not counting that the car already has a lot of stuff factory

What's the current draw on the 3 added pumps and the difference between the 2 upgraded pumps and the OEM ones. I'm just guess but the stock fuel pumps are fused at 20 amps, and probably use 15 amps or less. Just using the 15 amp number 3 more pumps = 45 amps and this doesn't count your upgraded pumps. This is probably your problem.

Now I know why Fubar went with a mechanical fuel pump.