PORSCHE 911 RSR

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
Here are some details on the "mid engined" Porsche 911 RSR that gave the Ford GT's some real pressure at Daytona last weekend. I think that was the first of more battles between the two supercars yet to come this season. Hopefully, The FGT's will prevail.

usmcfred

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/our-first-look-inside-the-porsche-911-rsr-shows-how-the-1791752540

Last edited:

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
I guess I don't understand why production car based racing allows configuration changes from the car it is based, and why Porsche wouldn't just call this a Cayman, or 918, or 960, or something else besides a 911... :confused

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
I guess I don't understand why production car based racing allows configuration changes from the car it is based, and why Porsche wouldn't just call this a Cayman, or 918, or 960, or something else besides a 911... :confused

Air cooled engine perhaps ...

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

They are jumping through serious hoops to not refer to it as mid-engine. Pretty funny. When they had the read fascia off at Daytona you couldn't even see it!

“The engine was moved ahead of the rear axle—what they call mid-engine,” Walliser said at a pre-Rolex 24 press conference on Friday. “But we try to avoid saying that officially.”

Ok Frank. :lol

Bullitt2065

Aug 25, 2015
Detroit, MI
GTE rules allow for moving of the engine position. It's not something manufacturers have really messed with since most of the cars in the class are synonymous with having their engines in a certain place. Apparently, there is a "dimensional box" that the engine must reside within, and in the case of the Porsche, that box extends forward of the rear axles.

Bullitt2065

Aug 25, 2015
Detroit, MI

Porsche has had a mid-engined 911 before, the GT1 in the 90s and no one cried bloody murder about that being mid-engined. Everyone just raved at what an amazing car it was!