South Carolina & Georgia

Lady Moose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 28, 2016
Howdy,
My sisters and I are looking into a trip to the south east coast, thinking of spending a little time in Charleston and Savannah at the end of March. probably 4-6 days in each location. Would appreciate recommendations. Thanks a bunch!
Lady Moose

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Below are some random thoughts on both.

Charleston:
I personally like Charleston much better than Savannah but some people like Savannah better. When I go to Charleston I usually stay somewhere on the peninsula or close by. If you want more of a beach scene, there is Folly beach and Isle of Palms (more upscale). Lots of history in Charleston. Ft Sumter, Waterfront Park, The Battery and the colonial homes along E Bay and E Battery St. Patriots Point has the aircraft carrier the USS Yorktown, but may be more of a guy thing. The pitmaster from Franklins Barbecue in Austin opened Lewis barbecue in Charleston. I havent been there but heard its great. Tons of great restaurants around Market St and south along E Bay St. Charleston is known for their food and usually long waits, so if you can do reservations, its recommended. We did a ghost tour that was pretty good as well. We were a bit underwhelmed by the plantation tour that we did, but we did a lower end one, so a higher end may be better. I wouldnt stray far north of Calhoun St as it gets a little seedy.
Savannah:
Havent spent a lot of time in Savannah. Spending time on River St overlooking the Savannah River is normally a good time. Lots of restaurants on River St and Bay St. Hilton Head is a laid back beach community about an hour north and is normally where we go.
Happy to answer any questions if you want to send me a PM.
Bill

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
FWIW - I prefer Charleston to Savannah as well. More to do and bigger. More great restaurants. Actually spending wkend in Savannah in February, first time in over 10 yrs. Will let you know if find anything cool.
For getting in the mood - listen to Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil on books on tape, before going. Fun.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
The River area of Savannah is pretty nice but Charleston is bigger and as said before more thing do. Both places have unbelievable architecture to see

Lady Moose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 28, 2016
thanks for the input. We will have 10-12 days here; ideally, we'd split our time between two locations and go exploring from those two 'home' bases.

JAX, I remember that move with Kevin Spacey. I think I remember it being creepy - not sure I want to see it again. :)

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
thanks for the input. We will have 10-12 days here; ideally, we'd split our time between two locations and go exploring from those two 'home' bases.

JAX, I remember that move with Kevin Spacey. I think I remember it being creepy - not sure I want to see it again. :)

I definitely would NOT recommend the movie. We listened to the unabridged book on tape (not sure who reader was, but excellent).
Set a cool mood to the area.