Anyone in the Austin area?

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi all

My daughter is studying Law at the University in Austin until june 2017 and she would like to finish her trip to the US by doing a roadtrip from Austin to LA mid summer 2017. For that she needs a car :) ..... and being a car guy I´d like to help out as much as I can. She on the other hand has absolutely no clue about cars and would not know what to look for when we try to buy a car that can fit but her and my objectives and therefore if there would be anyone in the Austin / TX area who could maybe help us out in a search and buying process it would be much appreciated .....

We could just go to the Ford dealer and pick up a nice used car but most of you that knows me - also know that I like vintage/older type cars ... and I would prefer buying a car that I actually would like to put into my small collection when back in Denmark.

My priorities are ...

- a car that I like ... not just a set of wheels to bring you from A to B
- In such good condition that it will be safe and reliable for her to drive longer distance
- Inside a pricerange of 10-15K
- Rust free and mostly unmodified

Ideas just off the top of my head are pre 87Jeep CJ7 or late nineties Jeep Wrangler, 78/79 Big Bronco or one of the latest 95-96 Broncos .... bt it would also be cool to put her in a 1964 Riviera, 65 GTO or a 70 Mercury Cyclone spoiler :wink:lol :biggrin:facepalm:

Please send me a pm if you can help in any way .

Thanks
Anders

Last edited:

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Andres,
Congratulations to you and your daughter, know you must be proud. I'm sure someone can assist you from the Austin area I do know at least is in Daytona.
It might be tricky in an older 60's or early 70's in that price range but you never know. Good Luck!

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Andres,
Congratulations to you and your daughter, know you must be proud. I'm sure someone can assist you from the Austin area I do know at least is in Daytona.
It might be tricky in an older 60's or early 70's in that price range but you never know. Good Luck!

Thank you - yes I hope she has a great career ahead of her .... maybe someday she´ll be the one picking up the tab :biggrin:biggrin

Yes - I´m well aware that finding a good sixties/early seventies car within a reasonable budget is a long shot. But once in a while you get lucky ... and for the right car I´m probably willing to up the budget :wink:thumbsup ..... and the reliability factor can be hard to determine. As an example I recently bought a 74 Mercury Comet - V8, original paint, no rust, perfect interior, dual exhaust with nice rumble - and daily driver reliable for just $5500 .... that is not a lot of money for a 2 door sports roof vintage car .... so I think as long as we stay away from the most know classics, there are still reasonable deals to be made (seen from my car crazy angle :facepalm::lol) ... too bad I already sent that car to Europe as it could have served the purpose quite well.

The right car doesn´t necessarely have to come from Austin .... I guess we can fly her out to pick it up

Thanks
Anders

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Hi all

My daughter is studying Law at the University in Austin until june 2017 and she would like to finish her trip to the US by doing a roadtrip from Austin to LA mid summer 2017. For that she needs a car :) ..... and being a car guy I´d like to help out as much as I can. She on the other hand has absolutely no clue about cars and would not know what to look for when we try to buy a car that can fit but her and my objectives and therefore if there would be anyone in the Austin / TX area who could maybe help us out in a search and buying process it would be much appreciated .....

We could just go to the Ford dealer and pick up a nice used car but most of you that knows me - also know that I like vintage/older type cars ... and I would prefer buying a car that I actually would like to put into my small collection when back in Denmark.

My priorities are ...

- a car that I like ... not just a set of wheels to bring you from A to B
- In such good condition that it will be safe and reliable for her to drive longer distance
- Inside a pricerange of 10-15K
- Rust free and mostly unmodified

Ideas just off the top of my head are pre 87Jeep CJ7 or late nineties Jeep Wrangler, 78/79 Big Bronco or one of the latest 95-96 Broncos .... bt it would also be cool to put her in a 1964 Riviera, 65 GTO or a 70 Mercury Cyclone spoiler :wink:lol :biggrin:facepalm:

Please send me a pm if you can help in any way .

Thanks
Anders

Anders, something like this might fit the bill. Just down the road from her in New Braunfels. I was looking for a Dart for her and came across this instead. Looks like a solid mopar in a cool color she might like:

http://newbraunfels.americanlisted.com/cars/1968-plymouth-satellite_18523527.html

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Anders, I am back in Texas. If you need help, I will be HAPPY to take care of your daughter. Silverbullitt has a musta g for sale. I will have him contact you.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Anders,

I'll be the Debbie Downer. I'm sure you considered this, but nothing you mentioned would be considered a "safe "vehicle, particularly for a young lady who doesn't know much about cars (no ABS, airbags, traction control, etc.).

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Anders,

I'll be the Debbie Downer. I'm sure you considered this, but nothing you mentioned would be considered a "safe "vehicle, particularly for a young lady who doesn't know much about cars (no ABS, airbags, traction control, etc.).

You´re correct ... and I have given it some thought .... that is why 32 roadsters and 55 F100s were taken off the list quite early in the thought process :biggrin:facepalm::wink .... but sensible thing to do is to buy a modern and safe car .....

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Sorry Anders, that's the PI lawyer and dad coming out in me. High speed interstate driving involved in traveling across the USA (with many other drivers who have no business behind the wheel). Most people here do not take driving seriously.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Sorry Anders, that's the PI lawyer and dad coming out in me. High speed interstate driving involved in traveling across the USA (with many other drivers who have no business behind the wheel). Most people here do not take driving seriously.

Thanks - I know you´re right. Looks like Silverbullitts Mustang is a good choice. :thumbsup

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Anders,

I agree! Anders, have you lost your mind?? :lol

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I agree! Anders, have you lost your mind?? :lol

..... if it keeps rain out and will brake reasonably straight isn´t that good enough?? :lol

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Not if she drives like you!

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Not if she drives like you!

good chance she will be better :lol :lol

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
good chance she will be better :lol :lol

Quote of the Day! :facepalm::lol

And we have on board video to confirm that. :lol

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Anders, I will be back in Austin later today. If you need any help, pm me.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Only things I have to offer you Anders are a '69 427 Vette and a '70 Trans Am. :)

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Thanks guys - it is impressive how you always can count on fast help from Forum members :bow :thumbsup

My daughter will meet Silverbullitt today to take a look at the very nice 2011 Mustang he has offered - to me a great choice.

All we need to figure out is getting Insurance that doesn´t ruin her. She was quoted $350 per month yesterday - which I find on the high side.

Any ideas/lead on which company to contact to get reasonably priced insurance?

:cheers
Anders

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Sending you a pm with my insurance agent's info. He offices in Austin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Wow, a man with an affinity for 70s cars? Awesome.

I'm about to post my black '75 Ford Elite for sale soon, 400 cid motor, fully loaded, one owner, all original 16,000 mile car.......

email me if you're interested. doctorv8 at gmail.

Regards,

Sanjay

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Update

Thank you very much for all the help offered - this is truly an awesome group of people to be part of.

I must admit we were a bit hasty in our decision - meaning that we had not full knowledge of the insurance situation and rules for Emilies use of an international drivers license.

Silverbullitt gave us a great offer on his 2011 Mustang GT - Thank you for presenting the car, treating Emilie to lunch and showing here more of Austin! Sorry we had not considered that a 400+ hp sportscar was not what the insurance companies thought was the ideal car for a young foreign student ..... probably being the car nut that I am, I never thought that there was a thing as too many horsepower :lol:facepalm::frown

We will now take on this project in a different manner. Plan is that Emilie will get a car for the last 3 months of her stay at Austin University - so she can end her stay taking a roadtrip taking her from Austin area to CA - LA area.

We´ll be looking at cars - planning on buying sometime late april. If you have a car you want to sell at that time - I´d be happy to hear about it. Maybe finding a OJ Bronco at that time :)

An accidental thing to come out of all this was getting in touch with Sanjay and his massive collection of seventies Lincolns and other cool US cars ..... ending up buying his 16K mile Ford Elite. I guess this car from now on will be collecting dust in my seventies Ford Collection instead of in Houston :lol:rofl:facepalm::facepalm:

Thanks Guys :thumbsup

1975-ford-torino-elite-2.jpg

1975-ford-torino-elite-10.jpg

:cheers
Anders