First glimpse of the GT's next competitor...

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
570s is a much better design, imo

570GT is drop dead gorgeous, 570S less so because of the weird rear window treatment. Got to run both back to back at MSR, however, and the S hauls ass in comparison to the GT that was noticeably softer all-round. I guess it depends on what you want out of a car

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
TM, what is your impression of the 570 (S and GT), compared to your 12c?

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
TM, what is your impression of the 570 (S and GT), compared to your 12c?

Feels measurably slower, much better build-quality and solid-feeling, still had funky electronic gremlins during my drives.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Feels measurably slower, much better build-quality and solid-feeling, still had funky electronic gremlins during my drives.

Ah, got it. Thanks.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Ah, got it. Thanks.

Didn't they make the 650 software available for the 12C?

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012

There are software updates that bump up the 12C power to 616, and IRIS Computer/navigation/audio system updates. I have really been tempted to get the AMS tune, which would put me at supposedly around 716 hp, but for two reasons…. First, I am already pretty impressed with it at 616 hp. Second, there is a guy on the McLaren forums that keeps teasing us with the promise of something coming up that will blow away all of the current tune options.

As for the 720, glad I reserved judgment until I had seen more pictures. Not liking it. Not liking it much at all. But then, I really, really do like the look of the 12C, and I know there are those who are not fans. I think of all models of the recent generation of McLarens, the 12C may actually end up being looked upon with the most favor, say, 15-30 years from now.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas

Last time I checked, I'm on version 14 of McLaren's software, plus installation of the "improved" IRIS2 hardware. It's still buggy, radio changes channels by itself, sometimes doesn't even work at all, etc, but these are niggles. The latest software finally has stopped throwing codes at the track, I can now beat the crap out of it all day with zero error messages (hmm, perhaps this is tempting fate?). Anyway, its still the most amazing track car I've ever driven, although I'm expecting that this will change around December this year!