First glimpse of the GT's next competitor...

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
The McLaren is off the table for Americans anyway :wink

Don't worry Phil. No one considers the UK part of Europe.

Ed

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL

That's some funny shit!

davefordgt

GT Owner
Feb 10, 2006
http://www.motor1.com/news/138103/mclaren-720s-geneva-debut/

while I sit on wait list had to order a 720S don't get me wrong I really want a ford gt but hey cant buy what they wont let you. So get my 4th McLaren while I wait. From the specs it should have no problem beating the GT around the track. Much more Power, less weight. not sure who wins on aero. Still not sure why GT gets such bad gas mileage. My 650s gets 27 on the highway and avg combine is good enough for no gas guzzler tax.

McLaren says the 720S will hit 60 miles per hour in 2.8 seconds, turn a quarter-mile in 10.3 seconds, and top out at 212 mph. U.S. figures for fuel economy haven’t been released, but based on European stats*the 720S should see combined ratings north of 20 miles per gallon.

Not to mention 720s msrp will be over $150K less then GT. But again so I don't get slammed I still want a GT and happy to pay $450K or $500K loaded up. Ford just wont let me buy one.

Last edited:

davefordgt

GT Owner
Feb 10, 2006
[video=youtube;qONckKNrkT8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qONckKNrkT8[/video]

davefordgt

GT Owner
Feb 10, 2006
[video=youtube;QXOGXhwRPsc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXOGXhwRPsc[/video]

davefordgt

GT Owner
Feb 10, 2006
great overall video by Shmee he is a McLaren owner and also getting a ford gt

[video=youtube;IZ0IhkGSXN0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ0IhkGSXN0[/video]

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Congratulations. Cool doors and folding instrument cluster. I like the tan interior too.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Need to see it in person, but I can't say I'm in love with the aesthetic. I thought the 675LT was reaching a pretty good iteration of the original super series. This is a new direction. We'll leave it at that.

small-7535mclaren-720s-04-studio.jpg

7534McLaren-720S-03-Studio.jpg

7508McLaren-720S-09-Studio.jpg

7506McLaren-720S-07-Studio.jpg

7521McLaren-720S-22-Action.jpg

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
I've said it before, and here it comes again: at a certain point, the absolute performance of these cars become virtually unusable anywhere but on the track. It's now simply the romantic, impractical, highly personal and idiosyncratic preferences that differentiate one super car from the the next. The new Lambo Huracan Performante can beat a 918 around the 'Ring, but what exactly does that mean to the guy cruising to Cars and Coffee in Newport Beach? The McLaren is an astounding piece of engineering that may indeed best the NGT in most performance metrics, but who can really tell the difference between 2.8 and 2.9 seconds to 60 when the car is pulling so hard that it makes you get vertigo? It's nonsensical, but I still love it.

I'm dreaming right now about my new, old school GT that is getting some turbo lovin' at Jason Heffner's shop. Can't believe how excited I am to get it and actually use the third pedal. Paddle shift THIS one time, Mr. Modern dual clutch rapid shifter...

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I really like it. Seems like a major advancement over their recent cars.

davefordgt

GT Owner
Feb 10, 2006
cant agree more with you none of us can tell diff of 2.8 2.9 etc... but do think the 720s is a major if not biggest leap fwd for mcclaren have on good inside source the 720s will be fast then the huracan around the ring so that record wont last for long that being said the value of a GT in few years will be 4x that of a 720s but I have yet to profit from any car I ever owned I buy them to enjoy maybe if ford lets me get a gt I can have my 1st car that will go up in value

I've said it before, and here it comes again: at a certain point, the absolute performance of these cars become virtually unusable anywhere but on the track. It's now simply the romantic, impractical, highly personal and idiosyncratic preferences that differentiate one super car from the the next. The new Lambo Huracan Performante can beat a 918 around the 'Ring, but what exactly does that mean to the guy cruising to Cars and Coffee in Newport Beach? The McLaren is an astounding piece of engineering that may indeed best the NGT in most performance metrics, but who can really tell the difference between 2.8 and 2.9 seconds to 60 when the car is pulling so hard that it makes you get vertigo? It's nonsensical, but I still love it.

I'm dreaming right now about my new, old school GT that is getting some turbo lovin' at Jason Heffner's shop. Can't believe how excited I am to get it and actually use the third pedal. Paddle shift THIS one time, Mr. Modern dual clutch rapid shifter...

davefordgt

GT Owner
Feb 10, 2006
I really like it. Seems like a major advancement over their recent cars.

the tech on the 720s is beyond anything mac has every done and only going to get better wait until you see how they make the spider with the new carbon cell and will still have a fixed center frame and be all power its pretty trick

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
As always, very well said.

Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I saw the 720s in person a few wks ago at a private reveal. I am sure the performance will be great.
I personally didnt love the looks, particularly the headlights and side aero. I prefer the 650/675 from a pure appearance perspective

Last edited:

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014

Man I love your replies! I agree, every new super car will out do the last. What stirs your soul... latest, greatest??

I agree the aesthetics for the new Mac are not pleasing. The 675 has great lines. The Huracan will continue to improve, the 488.. etc!

The CGT and old FGT are the last ones!!! Enjoy gentlemen!!

Mitty can't wait to hear about your new TTGT.

I want a new FGT but it's the only carbon fiber, tech marvel, flappy paddle car I would have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I'm still an "analog" guy, in a "digital" world. I don't track my cars (I've driven them on tracks), I drive them. I enjoy using 3 pedals, rowing through the gears, downshifting, etc. I don't care that the dual clutch, flappy, carbon fiber paddles will take off 3 milliseconds from my 0-60 time, or that it has cup holders that will hold the "big gulp". I do appreciate the technology, and can admire some of the looks of today's modern super cars, and yes, I'd love to have a new GT, because I think it's beautiful................but.............I'll stick with what I've got, and look forward to a ride in a NGT soon!!!!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
When I look at it, I go "wow" but its not followed by "I love it", its followed by, "hmmm".

I bet its will be super fast, and a hell of a car to drive. Just like a Panamera (no offense to Panamera owners), you can't tell what it looks like, when you are sitting in it.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007

to that end, I was asked not too long ago if I was going to sell one of my GTs to get the finances for the new one, to which the answer was a swift NO!

make sure to post some nice pics when the car arrives, i never tire of seeing those pics and as much as I like the new GT the old one has its own place which will never be replaced.

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
For us analog guys; great news from Porsche !!!

2018 GT3: 4.0L, 500HP, RWD, 6sp manual, Car Play, etc., now, that's a jewel of a car.
I hope they make enough of them to keep markups and flippers away...

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
For us analog guys; great news from Porsche !!!

2018 GT3: 4.0L, 500HP, RWD, 6sp manual, Car Play, etc., now, that's a jewel of a car.
I hope they make enough of them to keep markups and flippers away...

So much for the 911R. Sucker born every minute.