wait for passenger side airbag?

REDEEMED

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 10, 2008
I've recently had driver airbag permanent fix.
Because of the additional complexity and risk of dash damage issues for passenger side, how many of us are gonna wait for the permanent passenger side fix and not have the temporary one done?
Just seems sensible to avoid having the pass. side taken apart, then doing it all again!

Thanks for your thoughts, Bert

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I am waiting for the passenger side part and will have both done at the same time. My car has always been in a climate controlled garage (1st owner) or "desert" (me) so the humidity effect is minimal.

My dealer says late summer for the passenger side part.

By the way, the driver side was a two-step fix - first was essentially the same unit which would be predicted to fail in the same way but reset the clock for the effects of the environment. I have not heard that the passenger side is anything other than a one-stop fix.

REDEEMED

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 10, 2008
My Ford dealer told me that the passenger side fix, which he could do, was temporary while waiting for Takata to manufacture the permanent.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Let's hope that Takata doesn't go bankrupt in the meantime.

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I'm about to take mine in to Ford this afternoon to do the driver side. Should I wait or just get it done?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
my drivers side is done. Waiting on passenger until final.

REDEEMED

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 10, 2008
I'd go ahead and do permanent driver, 'cus the 2 sides are essentially unrelated from the repair guy's point of view.
As per Specracer, I'm probably gonna wait on the pass. perm fix.
Only advantage to doing both at once is your time/trip savings.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I'm waiting a few months for better weather and then bringing in for whatever they can provide.
Way sick of this sh!t.
Takata Execs should go to jail........here

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Got big yellow cards for my cars in mail a couple of days ago. No way was I going to shuffle 4 cars on a 50 mile round trip on damp roads covered with salt. After talking with my dealer they are coming to the house next Wednesday and replace the bags in both GT's, the 06 Mustang GT and the 13 Shelby GT500. They did not mention that the passenger bags were not a final fix on the GT's. Will have to see if a second one is needed at a later date.

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I ended up taking mine up to Autonation Ford in North Scottsdale today. Byron took care of me, let me drive it back and I watched the driver airbag replacement go in. I arrived in the stall at 12:03pm and was gone by 12:10pm. The mechanic didn't even disconnect the battery. I was given an extra set of clips free also :thumbsup

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Perfect! Sounds like the type of experience it should be.

acolvin

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2015
Ewa Beach, HI
Ditto what twobjshelbys says....

dtomaso1

GT Owner
Dec 6, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Let's hope that Takata doesn't go bankrupt in the meantime.

Indeed. Did not want Takata to go BR. So had both airbags done today. Took 25 minutes beginning to end for both, including taping off of sill plates and furniture covers on the seats. Two techs masterfully removed the long dash piece in minutes and sat it aside. Uneventful. I got stressed over nothing.

Attachments

• IMG_0913.JPG
    IMG_0913.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_0925.JPG
    IMG_0925.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_0938.JPG
    IMG_0938.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_0953.JPG
    IMG_0953.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_0963.JPG
    IMG_0963.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Do all the cars need both sides replaced? My letter was just for the drivers side.

AJK

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Do all the cars need both sides replaced? My letter was just for the drivers side.

AJK

Mine came in the second round. But to be sure you can go to the Ford site and enter your VIN:

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls.html

medici78

GT Owner
Dec 31, 2006
El Paso, TX
My heater blend door stopped functioning. Is this something that can be done "while they're in there" for the airbag fix?

dtomaso1

GT Owner
Dec 6, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Blend door is a major pain in the arse. Its buried deep in the dash, and requires major surgery to get to it. Here is a fix. Still involved, but the entire dash does not need to be removed.

Tom

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...-Detailed-instructions-w-pics?referrerid=1404

Cobraguy

GT Owner
My blend door stopped working several years back..... Knowning it was a major PITA to repair I avoided it for a few months and it started working again on its own and works fine to this day. So maybe you could be so lucky........

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
subscribing

dtomaso1

GT Owner
Dec 6, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Indeed. Did not want Takata to go BR. So had both airbags done today. Took 25 minutes beginning to end for both, including taping off of sill plates and furniture covers on the seats. Two techs masterfully removed the long dash piece in minutes and sat it aside. Uneventful. I got stressed over nothing.

Anyone out there get a new airbag recall? Had both done in jan 2017. New recall received today? Wtf?