wait for passenger side airbag?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
What's involved to change the driver's side bag? Does the steering shroud need to be removed, or is all the work on the front side of the steering wheel?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I hope they don't break something else during the inflator swap (like the quarter size plastic screw cover piece around the steering wheel, apparently it's laced in gold given its ridiculous replacement cost).

I told my tech that I had super-glued one of those covers on after I found it under my seat with a broken tab. He did not charge me for a replacement. Part of the recall. I had the car a year before I noticed one was missing.

What's involved to change the driver's side bag? Does the steering shroud need to be removed, or is all the work on the front side of the steering wheel?

Pop the caps on the underside discussed above (which may break the tiny tabs). Take out the two bolts. Pull off the air bag assembly. Swap cans.

Last edited:

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan

the steering wheel side is super easy. pull the 2 little plastic tabs on the underside of the steering wheel. one on each side. there is a bolt on each side and then the bag unplugs and comes right out.
C A U T I O N ! ! ! DO NOT LOOSE THE LITTLE PLASTIC TABS!!! they are unique to the GT (not a Mustang part) and ridiculously expensive. $108.07 ea.
Yes, I'm talking about the little black plastic snap in buttons on the backside of the steering wheel.
Gold I tell ya, GOLD !!!

Last edited:

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
FGT plastic cover.jpg

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
There you go. If you lose one, glue a quarter in there. Maybe a half dollar.