Horse Power ,, Here We Go !!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
If you study motors and power outputs as brake horsepower per liter . ( BHP / Ltr ) both NA and boosted and take this into consideration as to what's been done and what's realistic we can form some conclusions.. Ford's 5.2 liter NA Vodoo motor makes 526 HP which is a hair over 100% Brake HP per liter which is very good for a Normally aspirated motor. We know boosted motors run at a higher percent.

Looking at the F488 a 3.9 liter turbo motor @ 660 HP is a tad under 170% BHP per liter
The M 675 LT 3.8 liter turbo motor @ 666 HP is a tad over 175% BHP per liter

With that said a 3.5 liter motor running at 175% BHP per liter would put out about 612.5 HP
For a 3.5 liter motor to make 650 HP it would need to run at 185% BHP/ Ltr.

Those wishing for 700 HP would require the engine to operate at 200% BHP/ Ltr, not sure that is realistic and still provide a 3 year warranty or the longevity we expect from Ford

I'm in at an optimistic 635 HP , Hoping for more but not sure if it's realistic..

I guess the real HP freaks will need to talk to Roush Yates to make a big bore kit or a stroker kit !! :biggrin

So what's your HP guess ? Lets save the weight estimates for another thread.. Hopefully we'll know soon !!

NSXER

GT Owner
Aug 13, 2016
Kansas
Given the comments from Ford about power/weight ratio, targeted competition and fuel mileage, I would guess 670hp. Remember, we are talking about Ford engineers...the best in the world!

Brian

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Well, I think the Riley DP cars were running over 600hp with only 12 or 13lbs of boost, so getting to close to 700 should not be out of the picture with the recent NGT dash video showing 23lbs of boost. Still hard to argue with your logic about streetability and warranty.
What really will make the difference in the NGT, will be the torque. Ford is getting incredible torque at low RPM with Eco Boost. In the new Raptor, I think the numbers are 450hp, and torque of 510. My new Lincioln has 400hp with 400 being the number for torque. The Lincoln is not light but accelerates like a beast. My bet is the NGT will have torque close to hp rating. This will make for spectacular acceleration out of turns on the track and what the GT is really all about.
I am going to say 675 just because of the Mc, but would really love to see low weight more than high HP.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
I m quite sure that it has tremendous horsepower :driving:

BTW: did anyone notice that we need an additional driving smilie before the NFGT hits the streets ?

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
My guess is 630ish. While it may not be the HP people want, the torque will be, in the words of #43, The Decider.

Last edited:

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
650 / 550

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Really hoping for solid 675hp. New McLaren will be over 710hp. I know it will be light and amazing aero, but HP is nice.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Ford cooperates with video game makers. Look there.

Pro_GT_driver

GT Owner
Jun 23, 2010
Agree with BAT.

As this car is beeing compared to european cars, and the magical ratio for power to weight here is 2kg/PS (or ~4.46lbs/hp) or less.
Higher top speed compared to 675LT, this is only good for 205mph, should be due to better aerodynamics.

My guess is a weight of 2870lbs and at least 645hp.

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
I would like to change my guess to 630 / 539. LOL

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
HP 625, torque 615. The car will be fast. The 650LT only has 516 ft lbs torque.

Ed

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I was hoping that some of you gamer dudes would pick up on DBK's clue and look on Forza, apparently the number is hidden in plain sight?
As some will know, I've opined on this topic elsewhere. Using the new GTs apparent Vmax of 216mph, I plugged it into a spreadsheet I have for the Texas Mile and, assuming the same drag coefficient as the 05/07, it needs 650hp to hit 216. However, given that we've all heard how much slippier the new car is, with a Cd of 0.34 instead of 0.36 it only needs about 615. I'm hoping that the 216 number was road-limited and not drag-limited, so my guess is 630-650, which puts the onus on the GTs aero and chassis if it's going to out-perform, e.g. The new P14. Regardless, one thing where I'm 100% certain the the GT will out-perform the McLaren is reliability!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Forza=
630 HP
539 TQ
2890 LBS
Forza doesn't specify dry or curb weight, but my son tells me the Forza weight specs for other cars are curb weights.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Forza=
630 HP
539 TQ
2890 LBS
Forza doesn't specify dry or curb weight, but my son tells me the Forza weight specs for other cars are curb weights.

That is impressive. Would it be reasonable to speculate that Ford may 'unlock' power as cars are released like other manufacturers have done?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I'm hoping that the 216 number was road-limited and not drag-limited, so my guess is 630-650, which puts the onus on the GTs aero and chassis if it's going to out-perform, e.g. The new P14. Regardless, one thing where I'm 100% certain the the GT will out-perform the McLaren is reliability!

I think we can also be fairly confident it will out perform the new McLaren in percent $$ value retained over time

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
That is impressive. Would it be reasonable to speculate that Ford may 'unlock' power as cars are released like other manufacturers have done?

2890 lbs seems unrealistic, but we shall see. In full wishful thinking mode....

Others have pointed out that Ford may not follow its tradition of offering an off road tune for this car. What they say makes sense to me.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
I have heard numbers over 900 HP during dyno testing but the engine would not live anywhere near that power level. Probably low to mid 600's HP and high 500's for torque. Would love to see weight below 2900 LB. that would help acceleration, braking and cornering power.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I think we can also be fairly confident it will out perform the new McLaren in percent $$ value retained over time

I would think so. It's not a purchase consideration for me, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't matter at all to me. I'm glad I don't have an interest in owning any other car in this price range since they are depreciating disasters.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I have heard numbers over 900 HP during dyno testing but the engine would not live anywhere near that power level. Probably low to mid 600's HP and high 500's for torque. Would love to see weight below 2900 LB. that would help acceleration, braking and cornering power.

2890/630=4.58

Impressive figure if it's accurate. Also, this engine will have a flat torque curve which will make it feel plenty fast.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Forza=
630 HP
539 TQ
2890 LBS

That power/TQ with that weight will be wicked. Let's face it though, as Rocketman said, it's more than most of our skill level can handle. I know I'll be smiling trying to improve my skill level!!

Vince H