Trailer for 2017 FGT

knightka

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 6, 2015
Los Altos, CA
Looking to buy a trailer for the 2017 FGT and wanted to pull from the forum's collective wisdom.

I hope folks don’t mind 'yet another trailer thread'. I thought it would be useful to pull something together focused on the NFGT.

Found lots of threads on this topic and consolidated the feedback I've read. Here are the trailers that I’ve heard recommendations for:

Trailex Sounds like the most popular trailer on this forum, with lots of enthusiastic recommendations.

Jimglo I’m curious about this option. Specified by Ford for dealers transporting the Ford GT. Big doors that look like they should work with the 2017 Ford GT’s upswing doors. They claim the composite material they use is lighter/stronger than aluminum.

Featherlight I’ve seen the second most recommendations for featherlight after Trailex. Looks to be a more affordable option (but I could easily have read that wrong). Price is not my focus, FGT deserves the best! ;)

inTech I have seen one these in person. Looks to be very well crafted. They tout that most of their crew is Amish with high-quality crafting abilities. Comes with a vapor barrier floor that is supposed to protect the floor from water and the elements for a lifetime.

ATC

Mission

In addition to recommendations on what trailer brands are the best, would also like to hear if there are any must have options. The following were mentioned a lot:

• Winch
  • E-Track
  • Tire rack
  • Side doors (sounds like a must have w the NFGT)
  • Cabinets (are these a must have? or something to maybe skip?)
  • V-nose (must have? nice to have?)
  • Electric tongue jack

And finally, some questions on dimensions for the NFGT:

Width
Sounds like we need 89” for width? Or is it 79”? Saw a couple different posts on this:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...u-want-to-know?p=436987&viewfull=1#post436987
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...u-want-to-know?p=436948&viewfull=1#post436948

Length
I read that 20’ is as short as you want to consider. At least 24’ with cabinets. Sound right?

Height
If NFGT is 43.X" when up, 41.x" when down I don’t think height will be a problem. Thoughts on if it is better to get a shorter trailer and optimize for aerodynamics and weight? Or a taller trailer so you can stand up comfortably? How often is standing up important?

FYI. Here are some of the forum threads I've found that I pulled from for the above:
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/15566-gt-trailer?highlight=trailer
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...-w-Photos?highlight=trailer hauling GT photos
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...ecommend-a-trailer?highlight=trailex trailers
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/32392-New-Trailer?highlight=trailer
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/25728-New-Trailex-Trailer?highlight=trailer
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/30284-Jimglo-trailer?highlight=trailer

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
here are the specs found online on dealer requirements for trailer... Down towards the bottom are trailer requirements...

Ford GT Transport Trailer Requirements

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/2016/07/12/dealer-spend-30000-just-to-service-ford-gt/

ford gt service 5

As mentioned above, Ford GT service dealerships are required to pick-up and deliver the car from the client using a specific trailer that can accommodate the ground clearance, width and doors of the Ford GT.

Ford recommends the JIMGLO Elite trailer:

ford gt service 6

Ford will add certified service dealers as needed. Ford will notify dealers who enrolled in the program with adequate time ahead of a GT arriving in the area in order to make the necessary upgrades.

Ford gt service 7

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
here are the specs found online on dealer requirements for trailer... Down towards the bottom are trailer requirements...

Ford GT Transport Trailer Requirements

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/2016/07/12/dealer-spend-30000-just-to-service-ford-gt/

Excellent link. Thank you!

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
I might have missed it but did not see width mentioned, you will want a minimum of 85" between inner fenders. I just bought a TPD with E track on the floor and a 9500 lb winch set up that is removable and latches to the E track. I got the electric tongue jack and four over the tire tie down straps. I have a ramp door with 72" fold down extensions. Towed my Cobra to Scottsdale last November and was very happy with trailer stability in big cross winds (two semi's blew over during the trip) The trailer is 22 ft and has a built in generator door, tool chest and cabinets. I have towed my 2005 GT in it with no issues, although getting at rear tie down straps is challenging. I always pulled the GT and Porsche into the trailer with the winch so I don't need a side door. I do drive the Cobra in though because it has no top and is very small compared to the other cars.

OTG

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2009
Don't buy a trailer for one car. It drives me crazy when I go to the track and see some guy roll up with his new diesel pickup pulling some tiny little custom trailer for his GT3RS or whatever, with no room for anything else. Maybe you never plan to go to the track, but, apparently, you have $500k burning a hole in your pocket, so this likely isn't the last exotic car for which you'll want a trailer.

Get an inTech iCon Tag - they're the best bang for your buck and nothing else comes close unless you pay at least 50% more. Must haves include 24'+, cabinets, a-track (better than e-track), d-rings, 10' escape door, and extra height. My 26'x8' tall iCon has transported everything from a FGT to a G63 to a riding lawnmower to a Polaris side by side. Most options are so cheap, it's a no brainer to get anything and everything you would ever need (unless you plan on going funny car racing with it). While I have no experience pulling a V-nose, I was warned by every dealer (ATC, inTech, etc) I visited that they don't handle as well - apparently the V makes the trailer act kinda like a wing. PM me if you want more info.

Last edited:

knightka

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 6, 2015
Los Altos, CA
Thanks OTG. Trailer isn't just for the FGT, have a few other cars that will benefit but it's the FGT that is making me finally pull the trigger. Appreciate the warning on the v-nose! inTech does look really nice. As long as I can get doors open on the NFGT it would be sweet.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
You have a great list of the best. If budget does become a factor, a "normal" steel trailer also works. Ours compares to a hallmark, wells cargo etc. it has provided us 25 years of service so far. It looks like crap on the outside, and I like it that way, masks attention to what might be inside. Wheel Well width looks like the new car will fit. Not by much, but will fit. You will want a winch. As also mentioned above, I would suggest the smallest you look at is a 24'. It's not too big, but also gives you space, and ability to accommodate a wide range of vehicles. As a side note, today's "half ton" trucks (F150 for instance) will tow at least 9000lbs, so you are no longer forced to go diesel super duty (of course never hurts). We have over 7000 miles towing on our 14 Raptor so far.

Edit, one more suggestion, and a +1 from above, be sure to get front to back tie down track, (E or L, we have E), then use 3 point over the tire tie downs. Plenty of people here go through the wheel. I did it once. It's a pain. I added the etrack. Much better. This is the idler that enables the over the tire method.

http://www.truckntow.com/cargo-cont...ittings/rolling-idler-e-fitting-assembly.html

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Match the Jimglo for dimensional specs and the new GT will fit in what ever you buy. the basic pad dimentions for a single car trailer are all very close. the total lenght my vary a lttle due to the tongue design. from there pick you options.. for the record I'm not buying the aero V- nose complaint above. I know a lot about aerodynamics and that's one of the silliest statements I've ever heard. The tow vehicles probably going to block 75% of the front of the trailer. The v nose is much more aerodynamic than a flat nose brick

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
FWIW, the Trailex (with a V-nose) pulls true. I pull it with a car that weighs less than the loaded trailer. It pulls so well, you hardly need any tongue weight. 200-250 lbs. Never had any sway. Never felt pushed, pulled or tugged.

1,950 lbs empty. About 5,500 lbs loaded.

26,000 miles. My 27,000 mile GT would have 53,000 miles without the trailer. :)

That said, if I was buying new today, I'd look strongly at Mission. Steve Ard's is about $4K less than a comparably equipped Trailex. Torsion axles and 15" wheels are major improvements.

However, the Mission has the same 83" between the inner wheel wells as the Trailex. That leaves 2" on either side for the '17 GT. Pretty tight. Plus, the 15" wheels mean that the inner wheel wells are taller than the Trailex. That means (I think) you'll be taking the fender off for driver door clearance. IDK how much effort that is.

The Mission looks like a sweet rig at a great price.

P.S. I have not had a blowout since I got rid of the Goodyear Marathon tires about 6,000 miles ago.

Last edited:

OTG

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2009
Match the Jimglo for dimensional specs and the new GT will fit in what ever you buy. the basic pad dimentions for a single car trailer are all very close. the total lenght my vary a lttle due to the tongue design. from there pick you options.. for the record I'm not buying the aero V- nose complaint above. I know a lot about aerodynamics and that's one of the silliest statements I've ever heard. The tow vehicles probably going to block 75% of the front of the trailer. The v nose is much more aerodynamic than a flat nose brick

I thought I knew a lot about aero as well. However, the V-nose options on the trailers I considered were actually more money, so I took the dealers at their word (why would they talk me out of a more expensive purchase?). I also met a guy at the track that bought a V-nose ATC and said he was completely freaked out with the instability of the trailer on his truck when the wind picked up. His dealer traded him a box tag and he said he hasn't had similar handling problems since. Maybe everyone I spoke with smokes crack, but that's my story. Considering I went into the purchase looking for a little extra room (and assuming the extra cost) with the V-nose, I, too, was surprised with the contradictory opinion from the dealers. The main point I hoped to get across was that you should buy a trailer that will accommodate any car you would ever purchase and want to transport - save for a dragster or H1.

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Gold Rush Trailers aren't too bad either

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Trailer length
It would be nice to haul a golf cart and extra spares but then you may need triple axles for tire load rating. I went with a 22 foot wedge nose because it is the largest trailer that I can make a U turn with in my drive way. It will hold the car, spare wheels, tools and 4-5 fuel jugs, more room would be nice but I would just fill it with crap I really don't need. I also went with 16" trailer wheels because of greater load capacity over 15's. I have owned an open trailer, a custom enclosed light weight formula car trailer, (2) Wells cargo's and (1) Interstate. I found that the construction on the cheaper box trailers was really poor with screws coming loose and falling out along with interior trim pieces. The higher priced (22k and up) trailers don't seem to have that problem.

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Is it correct that a trailer length is from the ball to back end?

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia

I always thought it was box length when selecting overall is about 4' longer

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

Trailex is 20' 4" bed length from the apex of the V to the tail. 22' 6" from tip to tail.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
I just bought an ATC for the Gt and the track Mustang. The side door and removable wheel well sold me. I went with a 28 so I can haul the bike too.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
That means (I think) you'll be taking the fender off for driver door clearance.

Lots of OPINIONS here.... I'll add another. Anyone who would prefer to drive their car into the trailer rather than to pull (winch) it into the trailer has just quadrupled the risk factors for trouble. Side doors are silly and only serve to weaken the structure of the trailer - unless you want to sell tacos when not towing your GT.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ Whatever works for you. Amy is my ground guide. Anyone who winches solo rather than drive in with Amy as a ground guide has just quadrupled the risk.

And added the PITA factor of also having to unload with the winch and making sure the trailer is tilted back, instead of simply starting the car, putting it in reverse, and rolling straight back.

Love my silly side door! Love tacos too!

9325080020.jpg

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Can't say I've experienced any kind of instability with a V-nose trailer. Half the time forget it's even there.

I like the side door for ease of access, even if you're not driving in, and it's a nice spot to sit in the shade with it up, too.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Can't say I've experienced any kind of instability with a V-nose trailer. Half the time forget it's even there.

I like the side door for ease of access, even if you're not driving in, and it's a nice spot to sit in the shade with it up, too.
+1 on the shade.