Trailer for 2017 FGT

OTG

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2009
Anyone tried the Rail Ryder system?

+1 with Sinovac. They look slick, but they're $12k. The inventor will tell you that it's no big deal to haul a bike or sled or side by side etc, but after you see one in person, it just looks like there is too much expensive aluminum structure in the way to just simply walk or drive something into the trailer and tie it down. After a summer of tracking with my new inTech, I'm glad I saved $10k with a winch and some race ramps - it's 95% as safe and faster. Furthermore, if it were to somehow fail at the track (or car show) there's really no way to load your car.

knightka

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 6, 2015
Los Altos, CA
So much great input. THANK YOU EVERYONE!!

One of my biggest learnings is that everyone seems pretty happy with what they have in terms of trailer manufacturers, loading method, etc. Lots of choices but not lots of wrong answers.

Seems to be fairly consistent feedback to not get too small of a trailer. Both to accommodate different cars over the years and the stuff that you need to haul with them.

Next steps for me.

Research on how wide these different trailers are, extra space would be appreciated with a wide car like the NFGT but I imagine there are some standard widths that keep most trailers pretty similar. Time for me to start reaching out to manufacturers.

I need to study up on the differences between the different tie down systems. a-track, e-track, versa track.....

Also need to learn more about winches. Thanks nata4re for the rope over cable winch recommendation. I'll also be following your "best of all worlds" advice and getting winch and a large side door. Still need to figure out what food I'll be serving with the side door up but I'm leaning towards tacos. Will visit ByeEnzo's trailer for curry and Indian snacks.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
So much great input. THANK YOU EVERYONE!!

One of my biggest learnings is that everyone seems pretty happy with what they have in terms of trailer manufacturers, loading method, etc. Lots of choices but not lots of wrong answers.

Seems to be fairly consistent feedback to not get too small of a trailer. Both to accommodate different cars over the years and the stuff that you need to haul with them.

Next steps for me.

Research on how wide these different trailers are, extra space would be appreciated with a wide car like the NFGT but I imagine there are some standard widths that keep most trailers pretty similar. Time for me to start reaching out to manufacturers.

I need to study up on the differences between the different tie down systems. a-track, e-track, versa track.....

Also need to learn more about winches. Thanks nata4re for the rope over cable winch recommendation. I'll also be following your "best of all worlds" advice and getting winch and a large side door. Still need to figure out what food I'll be serving with the side door up but I'm leaning towards tacos. Will visit ByeEnzo's trailer for curry and Indian snacks.

ummm.. I've already claimed the Tacos.. :biggrin

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Also need to learn more about winches. Thanks nata4re for the rope over cable winch recommendation. I'll also be following your "best of all worlds" advice and getting winch and a large side door.

Contrary to statements that I have "obviously" never winched and am too cheap to buy one :lol , I optioned my trailer with a winch. I use it when I don't have a ground guide.

If you spec a new trailer, you might ask if the winch can be mounted on a rack that would allow you to slide it left and right. This would enable aligning the winch with the tow hook for a straight pull.

For example, the 05-06 GT tow point is on the left. Pulling with the winch mounted in the center causes the rope to spool unevenly. A bit of a PITA.

If you are going to trailer multiple vehicles, you may find that the tow point location varies.

This is a mod I would do, except that I rarely use the winch.

Also, you can buy a wireless winch control. With this you can operate the winch from the driver seat if you want to. You're not limited by cable length. Just watch out when you climb out the trailer side door. It is structurally so weak it might collapse! :ack

Last edited:

knightka

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 6, 2015
Los Altos, CA
ummm.. I've already claimed the Tacos.. :biggrin

Oh right. Damn, back to the drawing board.

What food makes sense for the track. Donuts? Maybe shake and bake something Ricky Bobby style?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Oh right. Damn, back to the drawing board.

What food makes sense for the track. Donuts? Maybe shake and bake something Ricky Bobby style?

I think Donuts would be the most appropriate at the track !!

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
:thumbsup

You guys are rookies, 40. Is obviously the best.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
usually it is less expensive if you just drive it to wherever you're going. no trailer required.

Im with Jeff on this .No need for a trailer if you just drive it every where! Makes any journey a true adventure!
The only issue is stopping for gas. A lot of interested car folks love to come over and chat!

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
agree with above! I own no trailer. Going to rallies etc; trip there part of the fun! UPS wife"s cloths ahead. Also plan trip around interesting hotels (with secured parking ) on the way to and from. Seeing everyone's reaction and many "thumbs up" make for a great time!!

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
I tried driving to events many years ago, all good until you break something, then you will wish you had trailered. Driving in traffic with a car that can do multiples of any speed limit is not much fun unless you are into being looked at. You can always do all the road driving you want at the destination but with the convenience of a trailer when and if you need it.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Fitting the family of 4 is a challenge, as well, where the trailer has been pretty handy.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Fitting the family of 4 is a challenge, as well, where the trailer has been pretty handy.

Simple solution: you need 2 GTs!

Ed

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Yup

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

Agree with the trailering benefits and I like my copilots. [emoji41]

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
You and Chris were so awesome, to host them!! That's what this community is all about.

Agree with the trailering benefits and I like my copilots. [emoji41]

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Trailer for 2017 GT

trailer and cobra.jpg

This picture shows why you need a large space between wheel houses for the 2017 GT. The Cobra is at least 10" narrower than the new GT.
The distance between wheel houses shown here is 85", not a lot of room if you have to hook up a tie down strap up anywhere near an inner trailer fender.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
From the spec sheet released today:

78.9 (body) / 88.1 (mirrors extended)
/ 83.2 (mirrors folded)

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
From the spec sheet released today:

78.9 (body) / 88.1 (mirrors extended)
/ 83.2 (mirrors folded)

Front rear tread width?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
I like the rail system design with strapping every down before loading into trailer. Saw one at the barrett jackson last week.