Is Motorcraft still the choice for oil change?

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I think oil gets contaminated with corrosives once it is in an engine and it is wise to change it yearly. It is not like storing it in a clean container.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I think oil gets contaminated with corrosives once it is in an engine and it is wise to change it yearly. It is not like storing it in a clean container.

But if you send a sample out of of the reservoir and they say it's still good so why change it based on time alone? That's science not "just because".

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Periodic use, with temps above 220 will boil off condensation and burn off any fuel

Lack of use has it's issues too

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Periodic use, with temps above 220 will boil off condensation and burn off any fuel

Lack of use has it's issues too

:agree:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
The Total Base Number (TBN) tells you if the oil is becoming acidic. Motor oils have base chemical buffers (as in basic pH) in them to neutralize acids that result from combustion and oxidation of the oil. If the TBN gets too low, that's a reason to change the oil. Blackstone monitors this for extended oil changes (it costs $10 more than the $25 basic analysis, but you definitely want that test if you are extending oil changes like I am).