Historical Images Of Ford Assembly Plant

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aynbcvctw46ek1l/Ford_Plant_Postcards_Circa_1917.pdf?dl=0

To think that they managed all of this without so much as a hand held calculator, much less any kind of computer.
Amazing for the time.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Fantastic stuff!

Thanks for sharing.

As a Ford lover and engineer, if I had a time machine, the Rouge would certainly be on my bucket list.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Good post Spirit. It is incredible how much they accomplished without the technology and metallurgy etc we have today. But they were the innovators of their day, and folks were blown away by how much they advanced manufacturing and brought costs down so "everyone" could afford a Ford.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
WOW! That is amazing!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Fantastic stuff!

Thanks for sharing.

As a Ford lover and engineer, if I had a time machine, the Rouge would certainly be on my bucket list.

FYI - Although the Rouge Plant itself was quite amazing, the photos in the file are of the Highland Park Plant, circa 1909-1928. Much of that facility has been demolished, but what remains tells an incredible story of the beginning of high volume/mass production. Designed by Albert Kahn, it had some very unique features including extensive use natural light. One of the interesting structural features was the fact that the Highland Plant was the first use of reinforced concrete. And reinforced it was - same vanadium steel used in Henry's Model T frame, formed, twisted and heat relieved to be incorporated as reinforcing rod in the concrete columns. Demolishing that structure took some serious force, and finally broken, still required major pieces to be cut up with a torch. Demolition contractors over the years have lost $$ on their deals. ;-))

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
very cool, thanks.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Or at least hidden behind a strip mall.....

On the power generator in the post card. For those that dont know, one of the 7 generators is in the Henry Ford museum. Its incredible.

Much of that facility has been demolished, but what remains tells an incredible story of the beginning of high volume/mass production.