dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
What is for our '05-06 GTs?

Ed

12/19, but also 14 combined, so the same overall. Should note, they revised the way the test was calculated, so originally the 06 was 13/21 and 16 combined. Using the same standards they use now it's 12/19 and 14.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
"You SPEND $8,000 more in fuel costs over 5 years compared to the average new vehicle"

Ha- This car is no average new vehicle....

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
I know that Ford 'cheated' a bit with the 05 car as 6th was really just for economy figures rather than useful. Still interesting that the new car with more modern everything isn't a lot better. Geared with no nod to economy?

Let's just hope the fuel tank is large and we can get good range. I had an EVO 6 once and its tank was so small it felt like you stopped every fuel station!

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
In germany we say "Turbo läuft, Turbo säuft" - Charger runs, charger swigs

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
So much work on such a detail, that not one owner will give a sh-t about. What are those numbers as WOT? ... Ha.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
i watched an episode of motor week today. Discussed the future of cars and "alternate fuels". Electric, hydrogen, self driving etc. Discussed Ferrari, porsche, and Mclaren going hybrid!! I expect the "next" Ford GT if there is one will not be a pure "petrol" car!! We think of our 05-06 Gas as being one of the last pure "analog" cars with a third pedal and no traction control!! Those of us fortunate enough to get one of the present production GTs, enjoy, because I fear "this is it!"

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Observed fuel economy for my '05 is about 13 around town, and up to 24 MPG on the highway, IF I keep it around 70MPH. On my last run from N. Va. to Rally 11 and back, I got about 22.5 MPG at 75+ MPH. I think that's pretty good considering the engine setup. It also indicates a pretty low aero drag figure.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
So much work on such a detail, that not one owner will give a sh-t about. What are those numbers as WOT? ... Ha.

That's what I'm talking about. :thumbsup

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

A more useful measurement of capacity: can empty a full tank is approximately 15 minutes at WOT. 😎

Of course, you'll need to find an open stretch of road (track) to accomplish that.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006

I prefer sports cars that are GPM, rather than MPG

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Comparing the 05/06 and 17 numbers am I really the only one who is a bit surprised that the highway mileage is lower for the 3.5 turbo than the 5.4 na? I would have thought that the 7 speed auto transmission would have the 7th gear as a similar to the 6th in the old manual transmission - and a 3.5 when not pushed into boost (regular highway driving) I would have imagined using less fuel .... I would have thought the numbers would have been comparable to my 2011 Audi S4 - a 3 liter supercharged - but that is rated at 28 highway.

Last edited:

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Wichita Falls, Texas 76306
My "other car" used an average of 11 gallons per quarter mile, or you could say 44 gallons per mile-

But the 0 to 270 mph in 3.0 seconds was worth it-

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
^^^ I was wondering if you where going to chime in with a cool factoid..... And to add on to that, how much does a gallon of nitro methane cost?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Top speed is in 7th gear. Close ratio gearbox. 6th in the 05 GT was basically a double overdrive that would slow the car down at WOT at high speed unless you've got 1000 hp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Wichita Falls, Texas 76306
^^^ I was wondering if you where going to chime in with a cool factoid..... And to add on to that, how much does a gallon of nitro methane cost?

We paid ~$1200 per drum, about $23 per gallon, so with warmups before the run, and when we ran four qualifiers, and four more rounds to win the final, we paid about $2500 just for fuel for the weekend.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Comparing the 05/06 and 17 numbers am I really the only one who is a bit surprised that the highway mileage is lower for the 3.5 turbo than the 5.4 na? I would have thought that the 7 speed auto transmission would have the 7th gear as a similar to the 6th in the old manual transmission - and a 3.5 when not pushed into boost (regular highway driving) I would have imagined using less fuel .... I would have thought the numbers would have been comparable to my 2011 Audi S4 - a 3 liter supercharged - but that is rated at 28 highway.

No, you're not the only one Anders. Not that I would care about fuel economy, but those numbers surprised me.

My sticker said 13/21 and I think that is about what I get in normal (minimal boost) driving. Never better than 22 highway.

I don't know the final drive ratio in 7th gear, but even if it is not a tall overdrive, I would think a light, aero-efficient 3.5 at highway cruising speed (out of the boost) would be at least mid-20s.

Last edited:

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
I am hoping it is an indicator of big HP