May 21, 2008
NJ
good.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Seems like a real shocker at first, but upon reflection, perhaps a good move for him. Relatively young; starting a family; lots of money; and all that.

I suspect we may still see him in a race car from time to time, a la Jeff Gordon.

Ron - there's a seat for you! Go show those Krauts what real driving is all about.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
While Nico is a great driver, I think his retirement lets him retire as F1 champion which he may never have been again. If it were not for Lewis having all the mechanical gremlins and failures suffered by Mercedes during races, with Nico having none, then Lewis would have won. Recall that Lewis was leading in Malaysia with 11 laps to go when his engine grenade and he got zero points. Those 25 points would have made him champ and Nico second again. Nico won fair and square but future odds did not favor him doing it again.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I was very surprised. Hope who ever get the seat, kicks Lewis ass!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Alonso would be a nice fit!

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
will probably be Verstappen

Tomcat

GT Owner
will probably be Verstappen
That would be a real scrap for top driver on the team!

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Crazy when I heard this. Hoping for Verstappen as well.

Vince H

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
Verstappan and most of the big names fall under the CRB, unless Merc wants to spend huge $ to pay for both the driver and team he leaves none of the big names (Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren, Renault) are going anywhere. Bottas is the one I suspect will be tapped, Wolff client, not expensive, Williams could benefit as a Merc client. Grosjean is another as he has an escape clause for a "top team" written into his contract with Haas. Both would be filling a short term gap until Merc either brings in a young talent like Ocan or hire a big name when his contract expires with another team.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Should make next season interesting.