ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I want to hire a machine shop to manufacture the parts needed to assemble 6 to 10 sets of landing gear legs for Glasair III aircraft. The parts are made out of steel and I have excellent blueprints. We have made and assembled these parts in the past but the previous machine shop is out of business. Once I have the parts I'll need a 5-star welder to assemble the parts.

The Glasair is an experimental aircraft so no FAA certification would be involved.

Can anyone here steer me tword an excellent machine shop to get this done? Thanks in advance.

Chip

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
Chip,

I have a local shop that builds and welds equipment for the local refineries (very demanding tolerances) here that can do some amazing work, but not sure if they have constructed parts for aircraft (though I don't think that would intimidate them). They have built several one off pieces for me on various automotive "quests" I have had. PM me your number and I will have the owner contact you.

ben

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
PM sent...

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
There is a local welding company that has the Air Force contract for refurbishing all the Air Forces jet engine parts and ships them around the world, so I'm sure they're qualified. They do very high tech welding. He also does a bunch of other welding of commercial heavy equipment/vehicles.

Last edited:

Flatrod

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Hi Chip

Alaska may be to far away for you, but I send you a PM.

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Wichita Falls, Texas 76306
Chip,

Rex Earp, actually related to the famous Wyatt, at Earp Machine in Safford, built all the connecting rods and some other high precision parts (fuel pumps) for my top fuel cars, back in the day. Haven't talked to him in a long time, I last ran top fuel in 1999, but I give him the highest possible recommendation, both for the quality of his work and his honesty and integrity. If he is till working, I doubt you could do better anywhere.

Cheers,

Eddie FourFather Hill