2017 Porsche RSR

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
You know this is going to be a stout car. Vette next? 2017 could be very interesting, but then there is BoP

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/16/2017-911-rsr-mid-engine/

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I guess the Porsche guys will cease their screaming that the GT is a cheater car.

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I think this is great. Other manufacturer's are stepping up to try and compete on a more level playing field. The target "The Ford GT". Will they all be able to raise there level of performance to that of the GT.
Most probably not, and thus, BoP will rear its ugly head again, and tame what could be truly great racing competition.
It will be interesting to see which other's do major design changes to keep up.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
WWAD?? (What will Aston do?)

BoP response - boat anchors for everybody.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
You know this is going to be a stout car. Vette next? 2017 could be very interesting, but then there is BoP

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/16/2017-911-rsr-mid-engine/

Isn't this a Cayman (not a 911) by definition?? :biggrin

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
^^^ Yes, I guess it is, but also don't forget the major mechanical alterations to the stock package that they M6 got last year (not much hoopla as it wasnt very competitive)

Porsche's LONG term commitment to sports car racing can not be ignored, this car will for sure be very competitive. Whats next? That's becoming obvious, C8r, (or what ever it will be called) All of these will will be fierce. What will curve ball everything as Cobrar mentioned, keeping Aston competitive is what will slow everyone.

I think this is great. Other manufacturer's are stepping up to try and compete on a more level playing field. The target "The Ford GT". Will they all be able to raise there level of performance to that of the GT.
Most probably not, and thus, BoP will rear its ugly head again, and tame what could be truly great racing competition.
It will be interesting to see which other's do major design changes to keep up.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Just pointing out Porsche's branding problem they just created. So the Cayman nameplate now needs to fall under 911, rather than the separate nameplate as current. Keeping them separate as current, would undermine the 911 brand investment.

Street/residual value of Cayman just increased.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
After being told that the engine is in the wrong place for well over fifty years, Porsche finally listened...

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
You mean it wasn't a good decision to have the same headlights on a 911 as the Boxster a few years ago? Caused confusion?

Just pointing out Porsche's branding problem they just created.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Glad my 46 year old 914/6 has it in the correct location. Wasn't Porsche's most beloved child for many many years, but now it gets the appreciation it deserved. Midengine simply rules :driving:

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
You mean it wasn't a good decision to have the same headlights on a 911 as the Boxster a few years ago? Caused confusion?

Porsche makes a conscious decision to share componentry and design cues that cause the cars to look 'related' ~ some might say too little differentiation ~ but it's part of their design language/strategy.

The powertrain location and product differentiation strategy between the two (911 vs. Cayman) models is/was however, a far different story. A (new) Porsche buyer was typically directed to the Cayman (mid-engine) model for a driving experience that is less demanding, and more akin to daily/spirited commute. The enthusiast customer/driver was/is pointed toward the 911 (rear-engine), name your variation/series, e.g. GT3/4/et.al.

If I were Porsche, I would have stayed away from (trying) to tie the 911 nameplate for this new car, and instead just use the RSR and/or LM GT designations as the naming convention and let the car be branded Porsche. As I mentioned earlier, I think the residual of the Cayman just went up. :biggrin

Edit: Some detail on the car: http://www.imsa.com/news/112016/porsche-unveils-most-spectacular-911-ever-los-angeles-auto-show

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Let's see photos of your 914 Brombear! I always have loved that car.

Ed

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Totally agree Rex.