Transmission failure

phardie

GT Owner
Oct 3, 2016
I'm new to forum and thought I would ask for advice on best next steps as my 5000 mile 2005 has tranny noise. Deer thinks it's pinion and or carrier bearings. After talking with RPM and others all I'm getting is "replace it". If it bearings I got to believe I can figure out type/size,etc
And replace . Open to any all insight, experience, etc

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
are you sure it is not just normal 'gear rollover noise' ?
andy (ajb)

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
This is the first tranny failure in so few miles that I have ever heard. I cant believe its a "failure". Does it have a tranny cooler? Have you checked and changed the tranny gear lube, and inspected the old fluid for trace metal, etc.? You may want to consider spectrographic testing on the fluid, which might narrow down the possible culprit.

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
As of today, our gearboxes are not that serviceable and replacement is usually required. The tranny "sometimes normal" roll over noise can be very loud in some cases but the gear box works fine. Questions would be have you experienced any shifting issues and is the noise only present at idle? Others will probably chime in who are more knowledgeable than I am on this potential issue.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Does the noise go away or lessen at idle when you step on the clutch pedal? If yes, this is normal. It is described in the owner's manual.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
there has to be a way to reverse engineer some of these parts. the common wear parts like bearings, syncros and gears shouldn't be that difficult to have
re-made in my opinion. some of these wear issues are only going to get worse as time goes on. I keep hearing someone was going to do it but have heard that for years. I've tried to deal with Ricardo direct and they just keep saying the parts are proprietary to Ford which I've heard from a Ricardo engineer directly that only the case is a proprietary Ford part, not the internals.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
bearings should be easy enough, hard parts gears etc can be made, but at wha texpense, Here in Aus we can get a gear set( that's a mating set say second gear) made for under a $1000. crown wheel or pinion wear, well that's another matter, wasn't someone making them.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
this will be the first tranny failure that I have heard of in so few miles especially on what I would assume is a relatively stock car? another words I assume this car is not making more than 1500 hp?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Define "Tranny Noise"

The Ricardo Tranny makes a symphony of noises:

-'rattle-snake' buzz when lugging engine in too high a gear for RPM
-vibration cable/transmission tunnel buzz at very high speed (>90mph)
-Neutral/idle "gear roll over" noise; like a cycle / chain threading noise; louder after engine/fluids hot
-Pump noise: various noise emanating from water, fuel, oil, a/c, etc pump

In my book transmission failure means your housing-case cracked and fluid is all over or no power / free spin in a particular gear

Get it to a qualified Tech who can test it under load.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Headers, cat delete, X pipes make transaxle noises disappear.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Headers, cat delete, X pipes make transaxle noises disappear.
you are right Gary. I didn't hear a single transmission noise from your GT when you passed me under the bridges on the Southfield expressway during Rally X.
lol

phardie

GT Owner
Oct 3, 2016
pretty sure, its most noticeable around 2000 rpm with a high pitch whine, when I engage clutch noise goes away .

phardie

GT Owner
Oct 3, 2016
no noise at idle, loudest at 2000 rpm, noise stops when I engage clutch

phardie

GT Owner
Oct 3, 2016
yes, noise gone at idle and clutch engagement, noise is progressively getting louder

phardie

GT Owner
Oct 3, 2016
I have spoken with Stillen in calif , they hold out hope that they have access to some tranny parts depending on what they are

phardie

GT Owner
Oct 3, 2016
totally stock car

phardie

GT Owner
Oct 3, 2016
very helpful, thank you. gear rollover best describes it, but I believe when I engage the clutch noise stops. finding a qualified tech is the big challenge who really understands and knows these cars

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
If the noise stops when you depress the clutch pedal, it's further evidence that it's neutral gear rollover, which is normal. Common to my GT500s too.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Define "Tranny Noise"

The Ricardo Tranny makes a symphony of noises:

-'rattle-snake' buzz when lugging engine in too high a gear for RPM
-vibration cable/transmission tunnel buzz at very high speed (>90mph)
-Neutral/idle "gear roll over" noise; like a cycle / chain threading noise; louder after engine/fluids hot
-Pump noise: various noise emanating from water, fuel, oil, a/c, etc pump

In my book transmission failure means your housing-case cracked and fluid is all over or no power / free spin in a particular gear

Get it to a qualified Tech who can test it under load.

+++1000

People sometimes worrie to much . It drives so drive it. If you take it to a mechanic you only will get more confused because most of them will just speculate what's wrong. Liston to us and the above post. And drive that thing . I just turned 30000 last week .

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
the GT Guys are the best, but post your location and the members can steer you to a reliable tech.