Ford GT oil change procedure

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
I have used the search function to no avail. I'm trying to locate a very detailed post from back in 2005 from Amer Speed regarding the proper step by step, 21 step process to change the oil. I believe it came out of the service manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RickH

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Drop 2 rear belly pans, pull 3 drain plugs (2 on pan, one tank), use piece of card board to keep oil off frame when draining tank (GT guys idea), change filter (Mann 926, I use a 36mm socket for housing, and be sure you press new filter down hard enough to feel a "click"), replace plugs, fill with 9.5 quarts of oil of your choice (TONS of debate here, I use motorcraft 5w50 synth), prime system by pressing accelerator pedal to floor, turn key on, press start button (car will only cycle starter, wont start), replace belly pans after cleaning them (optional).

I find with the belly pans off, I take more time cleaning, than actually changing the oil.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
there was a valve Clinton had found that is direct replacement for the tank drain plug to which you can add a tube which makes emptying the tank very easy and a no mess affair.... I would recommend it especially if you are doing you own oil changes

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
there was a valve Clinton had found that is direct replacement for the tank drain plug to which you can add a tube which makes emptying the tank very easy and a no mess affair.... I would recommend it especially if you are doing you own oil changes

I use one of these and it makes changing the oil so much easier. Before fitting it I could pretty much guarantee that 2of the 9.5 quarts would end up on my shop floor....

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
I use one of these and it makes changing the oil so much easier. Before fitting it I could pretty much guarantee that 2of the 9.5 quarts would end up on my shop floor....

Here is a drain plug kit from GT Tech. It works really well and may be what others are looking for to make the oil change easier.
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/30938-GT-Quick-and-Clean-oil-drain-kit?highlight=

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I have one of Rich's kits, last oil change I forgot I had it, didn't put it on.... Maybe this one Ill remember....

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
I have found it easier by removing only 1 belly pan. You don't need to remove the 2. The pan closest to the middle of the car is the one to be removed. However there are bolts on the pan close to the center of the car that connect to the middle of the cars underneath and also bolts on the back belly pan that do need to come out. Once they're out simply slide the pan forward towards the centre of the car. This should give you enough clearance to separate it from the rear pan. Then pull back and down it comes. Install in reverse order. This saves a fair amount of time. As I have determined it takes longer to take the pan down that to actually change the oil.
Correct, hold pedal to floor when starting. My recollection hold pedal down and crank for 15 seconds approx or until you see the oil pressure gauge showing pressure.
Also don't forget to loosen up the oil filter cap (create an air gap) before you lift the car up off the ground. This helps with the drainage of the oil form the engine. Further delay to do it after the car is already up n the air.
I also have the kit and will install it on the next oil change.
Love changing the oil and filter on these cars!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Another tip I might add, I use a cordless drill with a 3/8" socket adapter, then a T27 "socket". This speeds the disassembly. BUT to put back together, I start every bolt by hand, then go to the drill, which has a torque setting. I put that at its lowest setting to spin them in, then torque to tightness by hand. Dont want to be stripping any j clips or nutserts. Ill keep taking both pans down, to at least get the rocks out (but I find I fully wash the pans each time)

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Rocks?? What Rocks?? Specracer where you driving this thing?? A few parts and tools falling down maybe!!
Whatever "rocks" (hehehe) your boat my friend.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Oil change procedure in post no 2 here:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/270-oil-change-time?highlight=change+steps

Plug "replacement" to avoid a potential mess on future oil changes in post no. 1 here:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...ujimoto-oil-tank-drain-valve?highlight=fumoto

Priming after an oil change post no 7 here:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...e-Starts-under-priming-mode?highlight=priming

I'll add for the priming procedures: Hand brake fully engaged, shifter in neutral, can't remember the clutch position (I think fully depressed, the guru will likely chime in on the clutch position)-

Reactions: GSix

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Good search junior.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Clutch down, throttle down

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
Clutch down I get, why throttle? won't it start before 15 seconds or time get sump going?

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Clutch down I get, why throttle? won't it start before 15 seconds or time get sump going?

steve, throttle and clutch down all the way will not let the car start. it must shut off the fuel.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Extra safety.

Right hand on key. Press start with left hand.

If the engine starts, because maybe your throttle foot twitched (or whatever), you can kill ignition instantly.

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
Hey Junior, that's the 21 step process I was looking for. Good catch. Thanks to everyone for their replies.

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I use an oil extractor to empty the tank. No mess at all. I do pull the engine plugs to get the last bit of oil out.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I have an oil pan that fits under the tank between the frame rail and lift ramp that I zip tie to hold in place, so no mess there. Now the filter and cap is another story.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Now the filter and cap is another story.

Loosen the cap enough to let air in the top and the oil will drain back down. Good to have some patience here.....

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Happy 4th!! Thank you thank you for this invention!!

51492324991c3427a42c92a884aeba6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk