Ford GT oil change procedure

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
Hello, hope you are all well

I saw a post about using an oil extractor to empty the dry sump tank, can you please explain how you do this? What extractor you use?

Thank you
Steve
todayshousewares@cogeco.ca

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I saw that post too, but I don’t see how that can work on a GT. I tried to put a tube down into the sump tank to get an oil sample for analysis, and it seems there is a screen or something that prevents one from getting a tube all the way down into the tank. And you still need to put the car up to drain the other drain points. So even if you could suck the oil out of the tank, I don’t think it would save any time, and after using an oil extractor and then cleaning it up, it probably would add to the effort.

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
Yes I saw screen but the oil dip stick has a small hole a tube go down that and suck up oil, yes?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
And how long do you think it will take to suck the oil out through a straw that small? I’m guessing hours.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Yes I saw screen but the oil dip stick has a small hole a tube go down that and suck up oil, yes?
Why? As mentioned, pans will be off anyway to drain the shallow oil pan and then it is easy enough to drain the reservoir. If interested, we have a kit which includes the correct Fumoto valve for the reservoir. The reason is twofold. First, the reservoir is aluminum and we've seen too many over-torqued drain bolts that start to literally twist the aluminum. Adding the valve on means that you will never again have to be running the plug on and off. However, I suppose the bigger reason is that the valve make draining the reservoir a snap. Add a segment of tubing on (included) and it is easy to direct the flow and then turn on the valve. The kit also includes magnetic tip drain plugs to replace the two plugs on the pan. https://www.cooltechllc.com/ford-gt...6-ford-gt-oil-drain-care-convenience-kit.html

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
Hi nota-4re I have the Fumoto just got it will install, so before that it may be messy? so when pans are off is it possible to suction out oil? I just used a pump on another car transmission and differential change and pump helped? TY Steve

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hi nota-4re I have the Fumoto just got it will install, so before that it may be messy? so when pans are off is it possible to suction out oil? I just used a pump on another car transmission and differential change and pump helped? TY Steve

Just remove the drain plug and let it drain. You can use a piece of cardboard or anything similar to guide the flow into your container. For years, we literally have used a 30" piece of plastic rain gutter. The Fumoto valve will make things a LOT easier.

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
OK TY

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I have one of these that I use to keep the tank drain off the frame. Handy for many other cars too.

Reactions: GTMD and viva gt

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
I have one of these that I use to keep the tank drain off the frame. Handy for many other cars too.

Whoa, that's cool!

Reactions: Specracer

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Why? As mentioned, pans will be off anyway to drain the shallow oil pan and then it is easy enough to drain the reservoir. If interested, we have a kit which includes the correct Fumoto valve for the reservoir. The reason is twofold. First, the reservoir is aluminum and we've seen too many over-torqued drain bolts that start to literally twist the aluminum. Adding the valve on means that you will never again have to be running the plug on and off. However, I suppose the bigger reason is that the valve make draining the reservoir a snap. Add a segment of tubing on (included) and it is easy to direct the flow and then turn on the valve. The kit also includes magnetic tip drain plugs to replace the two plugs on the pan. https://www.cooltechllc.com/ford-gt...6-ford-gt-oil-drain-care-convenience-kit.html

Do you prefer the engine to be pretty warm for the dumping of the old oil, or cold ok?

I'm about to add your set up to my cars first "at home" oil change.
How tight do you torque up the Fumoto valve to the canister.

Stuart

Tomcat

GT Owner
Found this thread...thanks Forum