Water Wetter for Cooler Temps?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Was talking to some guys at the Rally about how I might get my car to run a bit cooler. Car is frequently 210+ in our hot Florida temps. It had been suggested that I add some water wetter to my engine coolant. 2 quick questions:

Wondering if can just pour some in the engine coolant reservoir, and if so, how much?

Also, could one pour it in the intercooler reservoir too?

Thanks in advance!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Take a look at the second page, top right:

https://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/WaterWetter Tech Info.pdf

Before you add Water Wetter, you should do a drain and refill via an Airlift or similar system if you haven't changed your coolant within the last 5 years.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I added a bottle to both at the last coolant change, I don't think the water temp has gone above 190 degrees since no matter what I do or how hot it is.

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
I have used it with good results .

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Pure water is the best coolant. If your car will never see sub-freezing temps, then refill it with water and water-wetter. There are other things you can do to affect cooler engine temps but using less anti-freeze will help. What exhaust system does your car have?

I know water-wetter has a lubricant quality but does it have an anti-corision factor? Either way, I think I would use distilled water.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
I use demineralised water and water wetter, , also same in race cars, have never seen any corrosion, And get 160 running temp even on the hottest days

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
There are a few older threads on this. I use Redline Water Wetter, flush out all air from coolant system & removed my '05 radiator screen. I never run over 180 deg even when it's over 100 deg ambient.

Ed

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
Since my car was new it has had a tendency to run hot, esp on the track. I have done most of what has been suggested here except removing the 05 screen. Nothing has changed. I have pure water and water wetter and I used the Acufab hose spring fix as well. I think some cars just run hotter. I wonder if there was a running change in the radiator or the AC condenser?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Andy - have you purged the system? Reducing the amount of air in the system is a big thing. You can't simply drain & fill. Also the screen has been talked about many times on this forum. It is good for 10 deg.

Ed

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I'm in Florida and use 25% antifreeze and water wetter and it works fine. But I don't know if the water wetter is really doing anything.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Andy - have you purged the system? Reducing the amount of air in the system is a big thing. You can't simply drain & fill. Also the screen has been talked about many times on this forum. It is good for 10 deg.

Ed

Super critical!

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL

Ed

My GT tech swears he purged the system. The screen issue is whether I can still get the parts to change it. For the street its not an issue. My Mclaren and Viper are now my track cars.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Not really a "purge". You pull a vacuum on the system and let the atmosphere push the coolant in. See airlift.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Yes, it is more suck than blow on reducing air in the coolant system. I replaced my '05 grill with the '06 grill. Last time I looked the '06 part is available (not the '05 though). It helps even on the road. I ran at 180 in Texas while my buddies were 200-210.

Ed

stuntman

GT Owner
Jan 15, 2015
NANO Pro MT's "Nano Cool" works WAY better.

www.nanopromt.com -now available at AutoZone

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Can one put water wetter in the intercooler reservoir too?

stuntman

GT Owner
Jan 15, 2015
Yes you can. Not to beat a dead horse but I also run Nano Cool in my intercooler reservoir as well. It mechanically improves heat transfer and is far more effective than simply improving the water tension like WW does.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Ok, what is Nano Cool? An internet search comes up empty. I've asked some auto racing buddies & no one has heard of it. I can tell you Redline Water Wetter works. There is plenty of data & first person feedback on the net on it. Plus, I will tell you personally it is fabulous. I've used it for over 15 years in my street & race cars.

Ed

https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10

stuntman

GT Owner
Jan 15, 2015
I've used Water Wetter in Karting, motorcycle, and car racing with good results as well. NANO Pro MT's "Nano Cool" is far superior and just hit the market (AutoZone) this month. It was developed with the military and in NASCAR and uses highly thermally-conductive nano particles to improve the heat transfer ability of your existing water/coolant.

As nano particles touch the walls of the aluminum in your radiator and engine water jackets (and touch each other) the surface area is greatly increased and thus heat transfer is increased. WW improves the surface tension of water but heat is not transferred to the majority of the flow of the water/coolant anywhere near as fast as Nano Cool. Water temps have been frequently reduced by 8-12*F by simply adding nano cool. It's pretty amazing stuff.

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Skeptical.