My First Modification .. Deja View

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
It's never too early to start thinking about protection.
Deja vu or Deja View ..

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...ion-Film-Group-Buy?highlight=Windshield+Skins

This Clear Plex product was the first modification on my 2006 Gray GT. I had the first one on in Jan. of 2007 and it's been on ever since. I wouldn't Drive my Car until I had it protected.

l really want this for the new GT. I understand the car is going to have Gorilla Glass. From my understanding the Gorilla Glass glass is on the back side for a stronger backbone. The front side glass is the same as ordinary windshield glass and will be subjected to pitting , chipping and scratching. I understand it will protect against a large crack or breake but not the nuisances we incur with normal glass. . Just ask the guys in Arizona how about sandblasting.

I'd be willing to buy rent or lease a windshield to make this happen. The Clearplex process requires a windshield for thermally formed pieces. The situation is a little different now because we have a couple people might be able to make this happen. Trent and our beloved DBK.

Maybe we can get the ball rolling with Multi Matic. Maybe this could possibly be a factory option like the clear bra. I would like to have one installed and a backup piece. Like before in 2006 I didn't want to drive my car till this was on.... Anyone in for a group Buy !! :biggrin

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
I will talk to my contact at Clearplex and get the info. :thumbsup
Still have a few of the 05/06 ones in stock if anyone is interested.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Sounds great! On the first application I know they needed to obtain a windshield so maybe our forum contacts can help with that

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I had a brief discussion with our leader at the rally.. I hope we can make this happen..

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
I think this is a great idea Brian. I would certainly be interested in purchase once more details come through. Thanks for getting the ball rolling.

Vince H

knightka

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 6, 2015
Los Altos, CA
I'm in for a group buy.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
I will talk to my contact at Clearplex and get the info. :thumbsup
Still have a few of the 05/06 ones in stock if anyone is interested.

I need one for my 2005. Let me know how to acquire one please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stuntman

GT Owner
Jan 15, 2015
I'm looking into having VTOL make a screen for the car. They are military-grade and optically correct (for everything from night vision goggles, to lazers, to polarized sunglasses). Their film is also a it thicker and harder, and feels like glass which allows the windshield wiper to work more effectively than 'stickier' tear-off style films. I hear the GT350RC uses this film.

https://vtolfilms.com/automotive windscreen.html

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
I need one for my 2005. Let me know how to acquire one please.

Here is a copy/paste from the group buy we did before R10. Let me know if you would like me to send one out to you.
Cheers
Trent

Skin cost $175.00

Shipping

Delivery to R10 Free
FedEx 2 day air anywhere in the U.S. $80.00
FedEx 3-5 day ground anywhere in the U.S. $30.00

Payment
PayPal to
surfnbythelake@shaw.ca or call/e-mail with cc info.
Can also pay at pick up at R10.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I'm looking into having VTOL make a screen for the car. They are military-grade and optically correct (for everything from night vision goggles, to lazers, to polarized sunglasses). Their film is also a it thicker and harder, and feels like glass which allows the windshield wiper to work more effectively than 'stickier' tear-off style films. I hear the GT350RC uses this film.

https://vtolfilms.com/automotive windscreen.html

Interesting product, please keep us advised. Thanks!

stuntman

GT Owner
Jan 15, 2015
Interesting product, please keep us advised. Thanks!
Will do, but VTOL is going to cost A LOT more than Clearplex.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Depends upon how easy it is to install, it could be relative.

Clear plex does not seem to be a product that most installers like.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Here is a copy/paste from the group buy we did before R10. Let me know if you would like me to send one out to you.
Cheers
Trent

Skin cost $175.00

Shipping

Delivery to R10 Free
FedEx 2 day air anywhere in the U.S. $80.00
FedEx 3-5 day ground anywhere in the U.S. $30.00

Payment
PayPal to
surfnbythelake@shaw.ca or call/e-mail with cc info.
Can also pay at pick up at R10.

PM sent.

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I too have asked Ford about the availability of a 2017 windshield for better fitting possibilities from Clearplex, so if any avenue of acquisition works, I'm in. Thanks.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I met with Clear Plex at SEMA. They told me all they need is a car. They can make kits from that. Once cars start hitting the streets we can possibly get one to Trent or to them. I think they said the Sacramento area.. I will continue to do what I can to make this happen..:biggrin

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Depends upon how easy it is to install, it could be relative.

Clear plex does not seem to be a product that most installers like.
A good window tint guy has no problem with theses, It's a rigid film. The clear bra guys are the ones who struggle with it.. ( Rigid film Vs flexible film)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
On e again I must agree with StormCat. What's wrong with this picture.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I am on my third (yes, third) windshield. After 11 years and 28,000 miles that's not too bad given the location of the windshield, but it's still two more than I would prefer. Best of all, I've already spotted two tiny chips in the windshield I got installed just ahead of Rally 10 by The GT Guys. :bored

I've never had any protective film on it, and I'm more than ready to give that a try (had I seen this thread earlier I would have).

Definitely in for a group buy for the NFGT. Maybe someone can have their car delivered to their shop just to ensure zero chips before installation. :lol

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ ClearPlex will protect. I can vouch. But the "Clear" is oversold. Think. You lay a four mil sheet of plastic over glass, and you think it is possible that optical quality won't be degraded? Fantasy.

But, you adapt to it. You see it absorb stone hits that you know would have chipped your glass. You get non-polarized sunglasses to get rid of the rainbows.

What surprised me most was that the "pre-formed" ClearPlex did not actually conform to the glass. The installer...a highly qualified bra bro...listed by ClearPlex even though he did not know he was listed...was obviously in over his head. I'm convinced I could do better after watching this dude.

27,000 miles here. Glad I got the Clearplex. Just wish there were more than a few guys who know how to install it.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Im in!