Ford GT40 Lineage sharing with Corvette team members & video

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Okay, many of you know I'm a Corvette fan... But I love all performance cars!

We had our annual Corvettes at Carlisle event this past weekend held in Carlisle, PA. I thought it would be fun to share two items with my GT buddies from this past weekend.

1) We had 49 Chevrolet Corvette team members that work on the car & a few Camaro team members over to our home to see our collection of cars as a thank you for attending our event. When you open the garage doors at our home the first thing you see is a Silver Matech Ford GT with the #60 Matech sitting behind it, then a C5R Corvette driven by the two Earnhardts in the early 2000's - see the picture below. Needless to say between the two Matech's, a 289 Cobra and my Tungsten GT I had plenty of questions about "why Fords?!" as if I'm a trader - I quickly took them through the lineage of how the GT40's came about all the way up to the new Ford GT. I let them know I purchase through my passion / desire to own a car and the story about Ferrari & Ford is a significant automotive staple that will forever be engraved into the history books. We all know and cherish the story behind the GT40's but we also love the new latest and greatest GT's too... why?! Because of the lineage & heritage! By the end of the evening many of the members were taking their pictures in the Matech car along with praising the build quality & etc. It was an evening I'll never forget... And I wanted to take a moment to share it with all of you.

74.jpg

2) As many of you know the story behind Greg and I purchasing the Matech cars (story here). I fell in love with the Matech cars at first sight in person... simply stunning looks, incredible build quality and of course the sound, oh that sweet sound! I wanted to own the car upon seeing it for the first time at Le Mans, I stayed after it and now I'm fortunate to own it... I'm thrilled to be the current caretaker!

But the real reason I fell in love with it is because I was at Le Mans in 2010 taking our Le Mans class winner 1960 Cunningham Corvette #3 back to Le Mans for its 50th Anniversary. There was a documentary made about the effort called "The Quest" and this is the 5th anniversary since the movie premiered. I asked the producer, Michael Brown, to make a short video of never seen before footage to showcase during a benefit dinner to honor my father Chip Miller (Chip Miller Amyloidosis Foundation). To say he knocked it out of the park is an understatement... we had well over 200 people at the benefit dinner and this video is what they watched. I wanted to take a moment and share it with my GT family (it's about 15 minutes):

[video=youtube;KDaCovnNt7E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDaCovnNt7E[/video]

Life IS good,

Lance

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Now that is a great post Lance. Thanks for sharing it with us.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Great post Lance, thanks for sharing with your friends on the Forum.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Wow! Thanks, Lance.

Howard

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
So cool Lance. Thank you.

Vince H

Tomcat

GT Owner
My Brother, also an F-14 RIO, is a Corvette-guy and was at Carlisle. Next time I will tell him to say hi.
When I see an obvious vette guy (cap, t-shirt, etc...) eyeing the GT at a gathering, I usually say something about the fact that they would even stop and look at a Ford is truly flattering. I also jokingly ask them to give me a 5 minute head start before we leave the event.

Last edited:

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Great story Lance... Live the Dream!

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Wow, thanks for sharing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Excellent.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Wow, fantastic Lance, :thumbsup Thanks!
We see Greg fairly often at SM and hope he has been passing on our hellos. Hope to see you again soon,

Terry and Monica

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
My Brother, also an F-14 RIO, is a Corvette-guy and was at Carlisle. Next time I will tell him to say hi.
When I see an obvious vette guy (cap, t-shirt, etc...) eyeing the GT at a gathering, I usually say something about the fact that they would even stop and look at a Ford is truly flattering. I also jokingly ask them to give me a 5 minute head start before we leave the event.

LOL, gotta love it! Be sure to pass along my info. It's always nice meeting new like-minded enthusiasts!

Cheers,

Lance

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Nice post by a true car guy!

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
You must have had a good turnout even in the heat.

I must have seen a thousand Corvette's on the highway on my drive from Md. to Philly.

Thanks for sharing.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Great story racelance! Thanks,

Ed

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
It's always fun to see that Corvette wagon train heading to Carlisle in late August.

Thanks much for sharing, Lance, you are living the dream and yes, life is good!

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Wow, fantastic Lance, :thumbsup Thanks!
We see Greg fairly often at SM and hope he has been passing on our hellos. Hope to see you again soon,

Terry and Monica

I really enjoyed hanging with you and your wife. I'm eager to find my way back to Spring Mountain - one of my favorite spots to just hang out! Greg does pass along your hellos. Hope to see you soon!

Lance

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
You must have had a good turnout even in the heat.

I must have seen a thousand Corvette's on the highway on my drive from Md. to Philly.

Thanks for sharing.

It was a great event, thanks! We're pleased with the turnout considering the extreme humidity.

Cheers,

Lance