Car hire in Austin

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
The last bit of the puzzle is getting a hire car. The issue is trying to guarantee a Ford it seems (don't really want to turn up in something else)! One place, an arm of Enterprise, will state the exact car but for a Mustang it's epically expensive.

As the GT is above our baggage allowance and won't fit in the overhead lockers anyone know of another option? :lol

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The last bit of the puzzle is getting a hire car. The issue is trying to guarantee a Ford it seems (don't really want to turn up in something else)! One place, an arm of Enterprise, will state the exact car but for a Mustang it's epically expensive.

As the GT is above our baggage allowance and won't fit in the overhead lockers anyone know of another option? :lol

Why not try for one of the Hertz/Shelby Mustangs? (PS they are not everywhere and I don't know if Austin has any.)

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Rent an Explorer or Fusion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Phil, no one here will hold it against you if you're stuck with something else. Don't forget you cAn rent a Lincoln

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
I would think Ford Fusions should be plentiful and cheap compared to a Mustang but like the Doctor says...no one will hold it against you. The fact that you are coming from England says it all.

Last edited:

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Just booked a Mustang convertible (or similar) through the Avis website ..... $300 for 6 days .....

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Thanks chaps, Chevy Spark it is then :lol I had one in Madeira a couple of years ago. I recon with the aircon on it'll struggle to get out of the carpark.... Got a Focus at the moment but might upgrade.

Just booked a Mustang convertible (or similar) through the Avis website ..... $300 for 6 days .....

Yeah, it's the or similar bit that gets me. Also that'll be without insurance. The cheap cars include it but the more interesting ones don't...

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
How did Anders find out?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I booked a Mustang too

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I have Avis for this trip, need to get a mustang!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Hell, is anyone bringing their GT?

Ed

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California

Ed

You are!

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yeah, it's the or similar bit that gets me. Also that'll be without insurance. The cheap cars include it but the more interesting ones don't...

If you have a Mastercard Platinum it actually covers the car insurance .... but you´re right, car insurance in the US at rental companies is like beeing robbed ...

You´re right about the "or similar to" .... but usually it works out.

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
If you have a Mastercard Platinum it actually covers the car insurance .... but you´re right, car insurance in the US at rental companies is like beeing robbed ...

You´re right about the "or similar to" .... but usually it works out.

Cool thanks. I'll play it by ear when I arrive I think. See you there!

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
If you can rent a car that is not at the airport that would be much cheaper. The city adds their enormous taxes to the tourists whenever they can. I can give you a ride offsite to pick up a rent car if you decide to go that route.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Most insurance companies will have coverage for you in a rental aka hired car. Also many credit card companies have coverage when using their cards. Definitely try to avoid the insurance offered by the rental companies.

Ed

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Do you have an American Express card? I always waive the counter insurance and pay with AmEx. My wife rented a car and someone hit her in a parking lot. She noted the damage at return and Avis tried to charge us for "loss of rental during down time". We called Amex and they made the problem go away. First off, I think they paid for the damaged bumper, but I also recall the down time charge of a week disappeared.

Being in the UK that may not apply to US rentals, but a phone call wouldn't hurt.

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
All good ideas chaps! Yup got an Amex so will see what they say.

Thanks for the offer Chris, will bash the internet to see what places away from the airport are like.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

Ed

At what point does a GT Rally become something else?

I understand our friends from outside the lower 48 needing to rent cars. Just happy they are coming!

But, not getting the trend toward US guys arriving with rentals.

Let's project this trend forward. At what point does a GT Rally become something else? 10% rentals? 20% rentals? I'm coming to a GT Rally because I own a GT but it is at home in my garage?

Let the flames begin! :lol

All I ask is that you rental peeps don't bust into GT photos, drives, parade laps, etc. :biggrin

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Our gt will be there, and will have a hertz rental. So there, best of both worlds! Of the 10 rally's I've been to, didn't bring the car to R2 and R3, it's much more fun with the car.

Ed