What car to buy while waiting for GT350R prices to come down?

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
My daily driver is getting old and I REALLY want a GT350R, but don't want to pay the ridiculous ADM. So I'm thinking about buying something for about a year as a stopgap until prices come down. I don't mind a little depreciation over that time, but would really like to find something that is going to hold its value AND be fun to drive. That said, I'm thinking about something on the used market and would like something on par or cheaper than a 350R (under $75k). Some cars that I'm considering:

Gen V Viper: These cars seem like they would be a blast to drive. I don't know how they would be as a daily driver in Atlanta traffic (1 hr each way to work). I figure most of the heavy depreciation has been absorbed by the first owner. Many can be found for sub $75k and have low mileage.

Nissan GTR: These have always been in the back of my mind but had never really considered one. The reason I'm thinking about one now is they seem to hold their value quite well.

C7 Corvette: Good bang for the buck. Concerned values will continue to fall but don't have a good feel for what that looks like over a year.

What else out there makes sense? Cayman? Boss302?

NavyVet

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I've recently been offered a 350 and 350R at MSRP so I think prices are coming down. If that's what you want, I think you can find it now or in the near future.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Any post-2009 Cayman is an outstanding daily driver.

Howard

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Have you looked for a 2017 allocation?

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Lots of engine issues in Gen 5 Vipers.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Hellcat Challenger or Charger? In the right price range, extremely comfortable and fun to drive. Too dang heavy to be truly quick, but one heck of an entertaining smoky burnout machine.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Why not a GT350? If you really like it, the R will only be that much sweeter. If you don't, then it answers the R question.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Be wary of regular gt350 if you track the car. You need track pack. Lots of problems with tech pack cars overheating after just a few minutes. Most spec cars were ordered with tech which is why adms are falling. If a regular non-refundable will do get a 17.

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
Lots of engine issues in Gen 5 Vipers.

Actually very few and all have been handled under warranty. I would vote against the Viper because as updated as the new one is it is still too crude for a daily driver. If you are anything like me an hour commute in traffic is something that makes comfort and audio key features. How about a used CL63 or CL600. Try for 2010 or newer. You would be amazed at how great a daily driver these cars are. Fast, quiet, smooth and in my opinion sexy.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX

Howard

How about a GT4? Several used ones hitting the market now. Unfortunately still over MSRP, but with the flood of them for sale, I'm guessing they'll come back down to reality very soon.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
What about a Focus ST, it's your $25K M3.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I'll check them out. Porsche had an event at Atlanta Motorsports Park and I liked the Cayman better than the 911.

Howard

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I like the power of the Hellcat, but you hit the nail on the head...too heavy. Looking for something that handles.

Hellcat Challenger or Charger? In the right price range, extremely comfortable and fun to drive. Too dang heavy to be truly quick, but one heck of an entertaining smoky burnout machine.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Why not a GT350? If you really like it, the R will only be that much sweeter. If you don't, then it answers the R question.
Hadnt thought of that...not a bad idea at all.

Be wary of regular gt350 if you track the car. You need track pack. Lots of problems with tech pack cars overheating after just a few minutes. Most spec cars were ordered with tech which is why adms are falling. If a regular non-refundable will do get a 17.
Gotta have a track pack!!!

Have you looked for a 2017 allocation?
Are dealers handing out 350R allocations? I'm still seeing six figure cars.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
How about a GT4? Several used ones hitting the market now. Unfortunately still over MSRP, but with the flood of them for sale, I'm guessing they'll come back down to reality very soon.

I REALLY wanted a GT4 for a while. I saw one at Caffeine and Exotics last weekend and they wanted $116k for it. Porsche prices do not seem to reflect reality.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
A buddy and fellow GT owner/forum member just placed an order for a R at MSRP. I believe he's been given an early '17 delivery date. Prices are starting to get real.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I've reached out to the local dealer to see if they would be willing to give an allocation at MSRP. We'll see. I told them if I get a NFGT I'd order through them. Dont know how much of a carrot that is.

A buddy and fellow GT owner/forum member just placed an order for a R at MSRP. I believe he's been given an early '17 delivery date. Prices are starting to get real.

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
I've recently been offered a 350 and 350R at MSRP so I think prices are coming down. If that's what you want, I think you can find it now or in the near future.[/QUOTE]

If you can buy a GT350R at MSRP why don't you buy it and flip it? Easy $5-10K minimum profit. ADM's are coming down on the 2016's as the 2017's roll off and it could be the last year of production.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Actually very few and all have been handled under warranty. I would vote against the Viper because as updated as the new one is it is still too crude for a daily driver. If you are anything like me an hour commute in traffic is something that makes comfort and audio key features. How about a used CL63 or CL600. Try for 2010 or newer. You would be amazed at how great a daily driver these cars are. Fast, quiet, smooth and in my opinion sexy.

Not a very few. Check the Viper sites. I've had 11 Vipers and know a lot of owners and Viper techs who have complained loudly. And so what if covered? who wants to do through that? Plus, as the plant and brand are winding down they are getting tougher on claims made.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I REALLY wanted a GT4 for a while. I saw one at Caffeine and Exotics last weekend and they wanted $116k for it. Porsche prices do not seem to reflect reality.

That is a bunch of money for a Miata. I mean Cayman.