What car to buy while waiting for GT350R prices to come down?

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
awaiting delivery of a focus RS. with AWD becomes a daily driver for me up here!

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
My current thinking is Cayman S or C7 Corvette, with the Viper or GT350 close behind. I think the Cayman would be a fun car to play with for a year.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I can only think Ford but that's my problem! LOL

Ed

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
My current thinking is Cayman S or C7 Corvette, with the Viper or GT350 close behind. I think the Cayman would be a fun car to play with for a year.

There's a guy who blew up the motor in his Cayman so he dropped in a Coyote motor, pretty impressive, and it would keep you Ford-connected! Google it.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Not easy to blow up a post-2009 Cayman (or Boxster) engine. You have to try really hard.

Howard

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Quick update here...

I did a car subscription service for a few months (driveclutch.com) where you can flip in and out of cars as often as you want. I ultimately decided it wasnt exactly what I was looking for, so ended that in January.

I decided to go with a 2008 Viper because I figured it was something that I'd never own long term but would be a blast to drive for a year or so.

Still keeping an eye on GT350R prices. They're coming down a little but still in the stratosphere.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
or an older R8 2009 maybe even a 2010 I think there is great value in one of those especially on the ones that have already depreciated, and a lot of them have, you can find a nice one with less than 35K miles for around 70K its a lot of car for that money, it is after all a mid engine super car that you can easily drive everyday, I just traded mine in with 36k miles on it (it was my daily driver for a little while) for 66K so I know the dealership will probably try to sell it for around 70 still very good money for one of those cars.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I can only think Ford but that's my problem! LOL

Ed

blind loyalty?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Lots of engine issues in Gen 5 Vipers.

Wow, you said it.

Endless pages on Viper Forums of catastrophic engine failure

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
or an older R8 2009 maybe even a 2010 I think there is great value in one of those especially on the ones that have already depreciated, and a lot of them have, you can find a nice one with less than 35K miles for around 70K its a lot of car for that money, it is after all a mid engine super car that you can easily drive everyday, I just traded mine in with 36k miles on it (it was my daily driver for a little while) for 66K so I know the dealership will probably try to sell it for around 70 still very good money for one of those cars.

That sounds like a great value. Is that the V8 or V10? I saw one in a 1970s Lincoln-esque metallic brown that I was digging.

Last edited:

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
V6 of course.

IMG_0723.JPG

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
Got a Lighting Blue 17 R with only thirteen miles going up for auction Saturday at Atlantic City.

Attachments

• 20170208_115851.jpg
    20170208_115851.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 254

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
That's a great color combo. Which auction is it? ADM's on the 2018 "R" may be higher than 2016-17 as dealers figure it's the last year of production.

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
GPK Atlantic City Convention Center

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
That sounds like a great value. Is that the V8 or V10? I saw one in a 1970s Lincoln-esque metallic brown that I was digging.

mine was a v8 and it was plenty quick it wouldn't move the earth or anything but a really well rounded fun and headache free super car to drive everyday much like the porsche except the r8 is a true mid engine super car. and really fun on the track also so easy to control the car does everything for you basically you just point and go. it would leave the GT in the dust on the track even at over 4K lbs and the funny thing is now that I have already traded it in I started thinking about it perhaps it was too good and too headache free and not visceral enough maybe why I got bored of it :) I dropped it off at the dealership last night and I have to say I was a little conflicted. I hate selling cars!

Last edited:

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
mine was a v8 and it was plenty quick it wouldn't move the earth or anything but a really well rounded fun and headache free super car to drive everyday much like the porsche except the r8 is a true mid engine super car. and really fun on the track also so easy to control the car does everything for you basically you just point and go. it would leave the GT in the dust on the track even at over 4K lbs and the funny thing is now that I have already traded it in I started thinking about it perhaps it was too good and too headache free and not visceral enough maybe why I got bored of it :) I dropped it off at the dealership last night and I have to say I was a little conflicted. I hate selling cars!

Exactly why I let mine go...

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
Got a Lighting Blue 17 R with only thirteen miles going up for auction Saturday at Atlantic City.

How did your car do at auction?

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
came up 4g short

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
came up 4g short

Keep it and drive it. Can't wait to get mine. All the drivers and reviewers are drooling all over themselves when taking it out on the track.

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
Would like to. Sold the black one I was driving, would like to sell this one as new. Nice down payment money for the new GT. Miss the black one wonderful car to drive.

Last edited: