Interesting Ford History in San Diego

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
I've lived in San Diego and California all my life. I've frequented Balboa Park in San Diego numerous times, including the Auto and Air Museum. I was there last week, and noticed something interesting that I never picked up on before. (see pic below). I'd seen that V-8 logo before. After a little research I learned that Ford was the original sponsor and owner of the now Air Museum. Pretty cool.

v8 new.jpg

Photo from 1930s. At the time, you could see the big V-8 symbol from any planes that would eventually fly over Balboa Park on its decent to the San Diego Airport
ariel v8.jpg

ford v8 old 2.jpg

oceanside gt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Oceanside, CA
Wow, what an awesome find Jason! I also grew up in San Diego. I'll definitely check it out on my next visit to Balboa Park. Thanks for sharing that great piece of Ford and San Diego history!

Joe

Oceanside GT

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
How cool is that. Thanks.

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
Slight highjack here but I will be in San Diego next week with our family of four. Any recommendations for good restaurants and things to do outside of the Zoo, USS Midway, Balboa Park and La Jolla? Two boys (10 and 12) and will be staying at the The Del Coronado.

Thanks!

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Cool!

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Slight highjack here but I will be in San Diego next week with our family of four. Any recommendations for good restaurants and things to do outside of the Zoo, USS Midway, Balboa Park and La Jolla? Two boys (10 and 12) and will be staying at the The Del Coronado.

Thanks!

Pm sent. Lots to,do.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Lego Land maybe? 8 & 10 they may love it, or already have outgrown? Been umpteen years for my gang, but they loved it (but they were 5-7ish at the time, I think).

oceanside gt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Oceanside, CA

Thanks!
Sent a PM, plenty to do here!

Joe

Oceanside GT

Tomcat

GT Owner
Great find...is the Cunningham/Driscoll F-4 still there?

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Great find...is the Cunningham/Driscoll F-4 still there?
. Yes, there was an F4. Pretty neat

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
This is just so cool!
Ford has such an incredible history. There are so many things in our lives that Ford has influenced. For instance, how all American are BBQs? probably would not be the same without Henry Ford.:thumbsup

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
If you look at the light posts in the picture. they were designed to look like intake Valves.