Replace or not replace belly pans

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Yikes!! I imagine those 18-wheeler tire treads that are spread all over the highways would do the same type of damage if run over.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Sorry for the damage.

That must have been a 4-5 inch Boulder?

It happened very quickly, but it was VERY large. Bigger than 4-5 inches. Although, by the time it spit out the back, it was probably in several 4-5 inch chunks.

I was in the lead and first one to go over "the rock". Guess I'd better get my car up on a lift and have the belly pans checked too!:eek:ack

Gary, if you actually ran over it, then I'd definitely get it on a lift and take a looky loo.

That was a bigass rock.

I'm surprised it didn't take out the splitter, unless Ed went over it with a tire.

Amy and I looked at each other and we both said something like, that must have sounded like the end of the world.

I have an armored (skid plates, rock sliders, etc.) 4wd, and I always think of the GT belly pans as skid plates rather than aero bits.

Ed proved their value as skid plates.

I was expecting to find a the front splitter mangled or dangling when I checked at the next stop. Couldn't see any outward damage. And I definitely didn't go over it with a tire.

I was in the car when it happened. It was extremely loud and disconcerting. Ironically Ed asked me if I wanted to drive that part....I am glad I passed on the opportunity to mess up his GT.

Dammit. I could have stuck you with the bill.

Yikes!! I imagine those 18-wheeler tire treads that are spread all over the highways would do the same type of damage if run over.

Probably not as bad since they have some flexibilty. But I'm sure that wouldn't be too pretty, either.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Good post, nice before and after pictures of the repairs. I stumbled upon and dragged a car light that came off of an accident that must have been thrown a long way. The noise was awful, but fortunately the damage didn't look like these pictures.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I haven't seen one recommendation for the easiest fix: duct tape.

Ed

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Chip or others... do you have the part number of the belly pan replacement... I would like to add one to my parts stash as well. Also, where is the best place to purchase? Available thru Ford Parts?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Tori or Shelby?

Ed

PS Still thinking duct tape would be a good fix.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
looks like the parts that may be damaged if you had issues on the underside

5G7Z-115A74-AA
5G7Z-63106B08-AA
5G7V-11838-BA

Ford GT Parts Sheet.jpg

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
replace

Last edited:

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Don't forget, when you drill out the rivet's that secure the floor pans,(under the seats) you leave behind the old rivet head inside the chassis, as there are over 20 each side could be prone to an annoying rattle, fix is to fill the chassis rails with flame retardant foam expanding filler. Cheers

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
Sorry to hear about belly pan damage.

Where were you guys driving where large rocks could be thrown around? I would have thought such terrain would be avoided on any tour as the GT isn't a 4X4 with steel skid plates.

usmcfred

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
Most likely fell off a truck that was hauling rocks from a quarry. The road was an open road without any rock outcrops nearby.

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Talk about noise. The three bolts in the front of my rear diffuser shield were gone and the front of the shield bent over and spring-like was dragging. Putting one side of the car's tires on the white stripe of the highway lifted the car enough to drive (too many miles and not too much grinding off the metal) to get to a lift where we removed the offending section.

Attachments

• gtbellypan1.jpg
    gtbellypan1.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 131
  • gtbellypan2.jpg
    gtbellypan2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 131

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
That edge should have been tucked under the mid belly pan.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Ouch!

Let me know if you need replacement belly pan screws.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/29601-Belly-Pan-Screws_5?highlight=

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You're not gonna rub that out. Ouch.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
The noise is tremendous. One big echo chamber. Made for a nervous drive home I'm sure.

I ran w/o belly pan for a period of time. No hi speed or track stuff...no issues around town.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
That edge should have been tucked under the mid belly pan.

I was mistaken. The leading edge of the diffuser overlaps the mid belly pan. I remembered that I loosen that edge when I remove the mid belly pan to change the oil.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
ouch, I would try to bend it back sand and repaint make it like new again!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I bet a good old fashion body shop that knows how to work with metal, not just replace parts or used Bondo, could cut off the bad section, welding in a new section, repaint and you could never tell.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I bet a good old fashion body shop that knows how to work with metal, not just replace parts or used Bondo, could cut off the bad section, welding in a new section, repaint and you could never tell.

It can be repaired by the right person. With all my vintage motorcycles I have had some amazing things repaired.

Ed