Battery Tender Jr. POS!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I bought 4 of these about 8 to 9 years ago, with 2 of them always use, with 2 spares. The last of the 4 just bit the dust. All died by not keeping the batteries fully charged. The LED lights would stay on RED, or cycle show Green, but the battery voltage is still too low. Unless you are checking the battery's voltage you would never know the Tender has failed. The last failure cause my BMW to give a dynamic stability error. People on forums said a weak battery is often the cause. How can the be with the Tender hookedup 7/24 with a green LED showing? What good is a LED when it is lying?

I trashed the last one and will never buy another Deltran product again. Switched to CTek MUS 4.3 on all the cars. I took the Ctek off of my FGT and put in on rejuvenate mode, presto the dynamic stability error is gone.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Ice,

I've had terrible luck with those as well. With no moving parts you would think they would be pretty reliable but I've trashed over half a dozen of them in the last two years.

Chip

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I have had very good service from the Autometer product.
Best,
Mark

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Same experience with my Battery Tenders. I've gone 100% C-TEK with no problems on cars (12v and 6v) or motorcycles. Significantly, all of them are used in uncontrolled temperature environments; hot summers and frigid winters. Never had a problem with either the maintainers or the batteries.

Howard

Last edited:

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
I bought 5 Battery Tender Juniors 2-3 years ago based on a lot of good reviews from multiple people, forums, etc. They all are dead. Could be because they ran 24/7/365 which included very cold winters but still, I will never buy one again.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I've had CTEK's for 12 years. My original, even after being semi-crushed by my lift, is still working. Heartily endorse.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The original USA made Deltran battery tenders were great. I have some old ones still in use. The newer ones made in China are garbage.

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I use the Schumacher maintainer. I have a dozen of these for around 5-6 years and have yet to have a failure or battery issue.They can be found at Car Quest for under $30

http://www.batterychargers.com/sem-1562a/

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I've had the same Jr for 5 years no problem but did have 2 regular tenders go bad.

wmjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
With boat, pontoon, tractor, mowers, and many cars, I probably have over 20 tenders. I have been replacing all with the CTec MUS 4.3. The led's seem to show the battery condition quite accurately.

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
+1 for CTEK!! Have several CTEK tenders & have used them on various batteries/vehicles successfully for 10+ years. No CTEK failures.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
20160816_133332.jpgI have this one from interstate recommended by a friend. It's been on one car or another since 2008. I don't know who makes it for them though.

Last edited:

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Been using the Battery Tender Jr since 2007, zero issues (knock on wood), maybe the earlier versions were made better ? Have the C-Tek 3300 as well on the Alfa, zero issues.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Been using the Battery Tender Jr since 2007, zero issues (knock on wood), maybe the earlier versions were made better ? Have the C-Tek 3300 as well on the Alfa, zero issues.

I just replaced the 6 volt Battery Tender on my '37 Chrys yesterday because of fears it might not be doing its job regardless of what its "green light" was telling me (the unit was at least 10-years-old, and other B.T.s units as old or younger have died on me).

To my surprise, the new CTek 6V unit 'reported' that said battery was in fact fully charged...just as the green light on the B.T. had been telling me it was.

Oh well, now I have a spare!

(I have 2 other B.T.s 'tending' two other 12 volt batteries. Every now and then, I have connected one of my 12V CTek 7002s to each of them for a bit just to make sure the green lights on those two units aren't lying to me. So far, so good. ;-) )

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I just replaced the 6 volt Battery Tender on my '37 Chrys yesterday because of fears it might not be doing its job regardless of what its "green light" was telling me (the unit was at least 10-years-old, and other B.T.s units as old or younger have died on me).

To my surprise, the new CTek 6V unit 'reported' that said battery was in fact fully charged...just as the green light on the B.T. had been telling me it was.

Oh well, now I have a spare!

(I have 2 other B.T.s 'tending' two other 12 volt batteries. Every now and then, I have connected one of my 12V CTek 7002s to each of them for a bit just to make sure the green lights on those two units aren't lying to me. So far, so good. ;-) )
Cars only need batteries if you intend to "start them". You only need to "start them", if you intend to drive them. Why bother?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Cars only need batteries if you intend to "start them". You only need to "start them", if you intend to drive them. Why bother?

May you be French kissed by a diseased Yak.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
From what I understand, its a "dumb" circuit board that requires periodic disconnection to cycle.

ie, you have to drive your car

Mine will die sooner or later....3yrs so far

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
CTek 4.3 currently on sale until Aug 21 $64.99cdn on line at Princess Auto

550rwhp

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2012
North of Dallas, Texas
Ordered and received a CTek 4.3.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L83FI6E/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471645050&sr=sr-1&keywords=ctek+4.3

I got this Barrett Jackson branded one, with Prime cheaper, faster and free shipping.

Last edited: