New Shelby GT500(?)

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
From mustang6g.com:

We just spied the 2018 Shelby GT500 Mustang for the first time while it was leaving Ford’s Dearborn Development Grounds!

The S550 GT500 prototype disguises a modified front end that will surely build upon the 2018 Mustang cosmetic refresh that is widely expected. Its outline shows deep breathing intakes and an aggressive bulging hood hiding its forced induction powers underneath.

This hot Mustang prototype was riding on aggressive Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires, and featured Brembo brakes with cross-drilled rotors. In the rear it shows a large fixed wing and quad-tipped exhaust similar to the GT350.

One thing that could be very telling on this prototype is a windshield sticker that reads “TT-0081″ which is the same TT designation that has been spotted on Ford’s SVT Raptor pickups (pictured below) which also uses a twin-turbocharged engine.

Based on the information we’ve received and this potential tipping of the hand, it is very possible the next iteration of the Shelby GT500 will sport a twin-turbocharged V8.

http://www.mustang6g.com/?p=9611

2018-Shelby-GT500-First-Sighting-2.jpg
2018-Shelby-GT500-First-Sighting-5.jpg
2018-Shelby-GT500-First-Sighting-3.jpg
2018-Shelby-GT500-First-Sighting-20.jpg

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
kool!

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Eco Boost V-8:big grin

Possible F 150 future:wink

Products and innovation just keep getting better :thumbsup

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
From mustang6g.com:

We just spied the 2018 Shelby GT500 Mustang for the first time while it was leaving Ford’s Dearborn Development Grounds!

The S550 GT500 prototype disguises a modified front end that will surely build upon the 2018 Mustang cosmetic refresh that is widely expected. Its outline shows deep breathing intakes and an aggressive bulging hood hiding its forced induction powers underneath.

This hot Mustang prototype was riding on aggressive Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires, and featured Brembo brakes with cross-drilled rotors. In the rear it shows a large fixed wing and quad-tipped exhaust similar to the GT350.

One thing that could be very telling on this prototype is a windshield sticker that reads “TT-0081″ which is the same TT designation that has been spotted on Ford’s SVT Raptor pickups (pictured below) which also uses a twin-turbocharged engine.

Based on the information we’ve received and this potential tipping of the hand, it is very possible the next iteration of the Shelby GT500 will sport a twin-turbocharged V8.

http://www.mustang6g.com/?p=9611

View attachment 43462
View attachment 43463
View attachment 43464
View attachment 43465

I won't speak to the car, but the identifier on the windshield band - “TT-0081″ - designates that the car was originally of a "Tool Tryout" designation (Ford Production Process). The TT designation has nothing to do with the powertrain being 'twin turbo' - just a coincidence. Interesting logic tho. :biggrin

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
My bet is a 5.2l forced induction Coyote motor.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
A factory, twin turbo 5.0 would be off the charts and too much to dream about.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I won't speak to the car, but......

Brat. I'm sure you guys in the know think it's real funny watching us twist in the wind. Can't you get me involved in a focus group or something so I can know too? I mean, I can keep a secret. It's the people I tell who can't keep secrets.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Wow, interesting stuff! I may have to be patient and forget about a GT350 for a while.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Wow, interesting stuff! I may have to be patient and forget about a GT350 for a while.

Even before the new thingy came about, I came to the same conclusion.

Mar 15, 2006
Awd? FGT Ecoboost engine with TT 3.5L V6? Hybrid? All of the above? Expect the unexpected!

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
What a BEAST!

CH53Driver

Shelby GT500 owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 20, 2008
Arkansas.
Awd? FGT Ecoboost engine with TT 3.5L V6? Hybrid? All of the above? Expect the unexpected!

Actually, I like your line of thinking on this one. I could see it being a TT 3.5L V6 making big power and if it had AWD that would put it as a possible GT-R competitor (with a cheaper price tag but definitely higher than the current GT350?). For some reason, I just have this feeling that a TT V8 is not going to happen at this point. The industry standard seems to be moving towards smaller FI engines for weight, packaging, and emissions standards. I'm starting to wonder if this will be the last generation of Mustangs to even have a V8 engine as an option?

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
C&D is pushing the TT V8 story too but different logic.
I still don't know that you use FI with the Voodoo engine but we'll see.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-spy-photos-news

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
Ford needs to slow down on all these new toys! I am going to go broke!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
So, do you want product cadence, or you want to be following the competition?

Leader vs, follower, has the resulting consequence of a need to budget accordingly. :lol

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Nope, the new engine will not use the 5.2 flat plane. The "predator" engine program is a 5.0 twin turbo. when I asked what kind of power will it put out, all I was told, which is all they could say is that it will have more HP than the Hellcat is their goal for sure!

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I'm sure it was quite satisfying to introduce the 662HP GT500 shortly after Chevy introduced the 580HP ZL1. Will be great to see Ford back on top of the HP wars.

I thought Ford Performance Parts had a 5.2L Coyote (not Voodoo) variant that made nearly 500HP. Figured they would TT that engine.

Will be interesting to have a Mustang making more power than the NFGT:biggrin

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

Last edited:

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
How about a smaller car with a high revving 2.7 liter V6 - CGI block, FPC making 600 hp?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Nope, the new engine will not use the 5.2 flat plane. The "predator" engine program is a 5.0 twin turbo. when I asked what kind of power will it put out, all I was told, which is all they could say is that it will have more HP than the Hellcat is their goal for sure!

Whoa! That's a scoop. Hope that bad boy comes to fruition.