dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/ford-fights-back-on-sandbagging-allegations/

Ha. So much crying.

Ford Performance global director Dave Pericak has fought back on allegations that the American manufacturer had been controlling the performance of its Ford GTs in the run up to this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans.

The factory squad has been in the center of a Balance of Performance controversy, largely stemming from the car’s dominant run at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, where Ford GTs placed first, second and fourth in the GTE-Pro class.

“I think people love to use the term ‘sandbagging’,” Pericak told Sportscar365 during last weekend’s FIA World Endurance Championship race at Nürburgring.

“I’ve always said and I would hope that I can get backup from the sanctioning body on this, that we came into this with a brand spanking-new car. This car has been in development as not a known car.

continued...

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
Imagine if it was run what you brung!!

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I still don't get it... why not post some requirements and allowed specifications a year or two in advance and let everyone produce/build the best car they can within the approved guidelines and let them race. If they don't want to update their cars and come up with new technology to improve the cars performance to be competitive then they will not do well. This BoP program seems to hold back innovation and new technology.

Give them specs and requirements and let them race!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
My favorite form the article:

"ACO Sporting Director Vincent Beaumesnil did not specifically call out Ford for sandbagging but admitted most manufacturers, in general, don’t show their full potential in the early season races.

“The major difficulty is that Le Mans is the third race of the year [in WEC] and I think anybody would be stupid if they don’t realize that before Le Mans, people maybe don’t show everything,” Beaumesnil told Sportscar365.

“So you have to evaluate the cars with people who don’t really show what their cars [are capable of].”

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
Sandbagging = strategy. Everybody does it. Get over it.

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
Pretty hard to prevent any substantial surprises when it's a purpose built race car designed to do one thing, and the rest of the field are long time production cars that have been in the class since day 1. And who are they kidding, they love the attention the GT is drawing into the sport.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Sandbagging = strategy. Everybody does it. Get over it.

Thank you.

Vince H

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Read some of the comments following the article.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I think the bigger issue is less about what happened this year, then where the ACO/FIA might be headed next: http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/fia-aco-considering-24h-le-mans-gte-pro-bop-lock-in/

Yikes! Does the sanctioning group really have the necessary technical credentials & capability to properly administrate a BoP program with cars racing at this level?

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
As in the 60's...the team is maturing.

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
what about Ferraris NASCAR tactics of knocking out its superior rivals at the start of the race, that's what they need to be focusing on.