Battery tenders / slow chargers

Propdave

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 11, 2016
Calgary, Canada
Hello folks

Can you guys chime in on the best battery tenders / chargers to use when the GT is in storage? I have the CTEK chargers on my other cars but I saw an early post that the GT needs a certain kind of charger. Is that true or am I good with the CTEK?

Thanks

Dave

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Think you're referring to the Braille thread. Li batteries need a higher voltage charger. CTEK is fine for the for the stock lead battery.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
ctek is fine; might want to get the cigarette adapter and 12ft cord extension
so you can drape cord on rubber seal of door and close with no rubbing.

FORD included an OEM charger with cigarette adapter in pouch that came with car; it's
~0.75A trickle charger that has 20ft cord; $100 from vendors on this site or ebay (note it's not a float/maintainer with status lights.) Used mine 24/7 for last 10yrs.

Battery Tender Jr has a similar looking maintainer with status lights for $25 on amazon; some have had these fail.

I have posted links before

Note: ease of use is best feature of cigarette adapter v. Removing tub and hooking alligator clips to battery or other ports.

Last edited:

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
CTEK works well.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Battery tender Jr. works well for maintaining and although I've had 2 regular Battery Tenders go bad never had a failure with a Jr.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I had 2 Jr. fail on me. Switched to a Ctek on my FGT.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
a battery shut off switch works even better. have NEVER used a battery trickle charger on any of my GTs. open the hood and shut the battery off. works as a good anti theft device as well since it has a pull out key. jmo (PS- knock on wood, NEVER had a gauge failure either)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
a battery shut off switch works even better. have NEVER used a battery trickle charger on any of my GTs. open the hood and shut the battery off. works as a good anti theft device as well since it has a pull out key. jmo (PS- knock on wood, NEVER had a gauge failure either)

I also have a shutoff switch using it only when I servicing the car and the power should be off. I don't like using it more than necessary as learned tables for a/f ratios and returnless fuel pressure get erased.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I've been using CTEK's on my "toys" for 14 years, the first CTEK is still in service, works great!

Propdave

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 11, 2016
Calgary, Canada
Thank you for the feedback everyone. I appreciate the help.

Dave

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
battery tender plus has a 10 year warranty

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I also have a shutoff switch using it only when I servicing the car and the power should be off. I don't like using it more than necessary as learned tables for a/f ratios and returnless fuel pressure get erased.

really? I've had special tunes and calibrations and never had anything get erased. no different than changing the battery.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Battery disconnect

This from the manual, I have had mine disconnected several times, although I have a Torrie tune so that may change the way the computer sees thing.

Attachments

• GT battery.jpg
    GT battery.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 344

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I haven't verified this is the case, but it is widely reported to be so. I do know that P1000 code is set if you lose battery power. I have confirmed that reflashing the ECU does reset the tables which makes sense. If you have an SCT and livelink you can easily check next time you disconnect the battery by reading the PIDs for the tablle.

I have read the tables out to refine my MAF and returnless fuel tables in the ECU program so that even when zeroed out they will be close the the learned values.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
OCD alert...

Nice small pouch for Battery Tender Jr. $5 add-on to your next order.

Fits charger, cord; 12ft extension cord; cigarette adapter, etc

Double zippered, strap, clear sleeve inside for instructions, registration, etc.

Installation time: 1 minute

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012TYNY2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This should not be used as a Man-Purse!:biggrin

Attachments

• 91mllCMblfL._SL1500_.jpg
    91mllCMblfL._SL1500_.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I use the Ctek, and installed a remote connector inside the front wheel well for easy access.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Get w Kendall ie Nota4re who is a sponsor with Cooltech here. Has the Deltran with custom 05/06 mounting adapter which comes out front snout of FGT.
Been running it since 2006

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
The tender is supposed to be charging your car.....not in the bag.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I like the CTEK chargers. Used the factory issue charger a lot before that, for several years, never had a problem. OEM battery lasted a long time, I eventually replaced it pro-actively. I've also used Battery Tenders too, and they worked for me, but the CTEK provides more detailed status information if you get one of their upper models.

More recently also begin using a NOCO Genius multi charger that can charge one to four vehicles simultaneously.