Coolant Flush

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Can anyone tell me the proper procedure to do a coolant flush as well as when it should be done (time/milage)? Also, is the the coolant corrosive if some spills inside the engine bay? Thank you in advance.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Are you wanting to actually flush the systems (plural on purpose) or just change the fluid? I can't image that you would need a flush, but whatever you do don't use tap water. Get a service manual, use distilled water, FoMoCo gold fluid, and get an Airlift tool to fill. I've had good luck with water wetter also.

Oh... and I've never experienced or heard of coolant being hard on paint (unlike brake fluid). Just wipe it off and keep the pets away. :thumbsup

Last edited:

lc2006

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 10, 2011
Centreville, Delaware
Can anyone tell me the proper procedure to do a coolant flush as well as when it should be done (time/milage)? Also, is the the coolant corrosive if some spills inside the engine bay? Thank you in advance.

Coolant will etch unfinished metals... it's especially tough on aluminum.

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Ok. Thanks guys. I was having my service department mechanic do a flush today but I stopped him. This was with the airlift tool while car was running to open up thermostat. Too much pressure had built up and it was overflowing when he tried to take cap off. Not sure if that was right procedure or not. I had shop towels done to catch overflow and sprayed it down afterwards with a hose but wanted to make sure I didn't cause any damage. Nothing got in my paint thankfully. Not sure I even need a coolant flush at this point but was doing some other maintenance so figured why not. Was just gathering opinions from those who may have done it. Thanks for input.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
So you have driven your 2016+ GT long enough to need a coolant flush?

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Anyone use the Evans waterless coolant instead of the FOMOCO Gold fluid? Supposedly this waterless fluid will exceed the lifetime of the engine and NEVER has to be changed. Even if you drain the Evans coolant, you reuse the old Evans waterless fluid when you refill.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
At 10 years and 10,000 miles I had all my coolant , brake fluid, transaxle, engine oil and filter , clutch fluid , supercharger, oil cooler, belts, parking brake adj, clamshell struts replaced.. I think I listed them all.

Anyway , completed 2 weeks ago and all is fine.
Done at my dealer by the FGT Mechanic/Tech.
''Just use exactly what Ford Motor Co. recommends'' has always been my position.

andy (ajb)

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I see my question about Evans was asked by 'To Awsum'.

Curious about informed opinions, other than 'Ford recommends' (Ford 'recommended' the gauges and that decision leaves much to be desired).

Last edited:

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I think Rocketman has been an Evans coolant replacement user for the GT. I think he also went with the GT Guys larger radiator. Probably has zero cooling problems. Maybe a PM to him.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Nafod, the only people I have heard had cooling problems with their GT were those on the track using high engine rpm through out the circuit aggravated by high ambient temperatures. Because of supercharger heat to the engine inlet charge the engine would/could exceed ECU monitored temperatures which would then put the engine in "limp mode" as a protection.

Solution was to use a higher gear thus lowering engine rpm or run with the A/C on which commands the radiator fans on all the time.

Moot point now with Ron as he does not use his car on the track any more. So "zero cooling problems" by definition.

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.

:lol

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
I haven't but sure hope I get the chance to.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal

You have to be the first to have his 2017 Ford GT! LOL! And you are already flushing the coolant system! Pics please!

Ed

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nafod, the only people I have heard had cooling problems with their GT were those on the track using high engine rpm through out the circuit aggravated by high ambient temperatures. Because of supercharger heat to the engine inlet charge the engine would/could exceed ECU monitored temperatures which would then put the engine in "limp mode" as a protection.

Solution was to use a higher gear thus lowering engine rpm or run with the A/C on which commands the radiator fans on all the time.

Moot point now with Ron as he does not use his car on the track any more. So "zero cooling problems" by definition.

Hi Indy,

My reply was to the question if anyone had used the Evans coolant replacement. Just trying to point that person to someone who had posted about using it.
Early on there where concerns about city driving and hot/modded cars. Most of these issues seem to have fixed themselves with proper coolant exchange and the lack of air in the system(s) or tunes that command the fans on at lower temps.

Less demand/stress out of the heat pump should lower operating temps. Running the heater would also extract heat, but also have the intended affect of adding heat to the passenger compartment. Which may not be what you want.:)

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Exactly correct!:thumbsup

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
On a 2017?????

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
This Section is for the "2016+ GT" so we would tend to think you are talking maintenance on the new car which is not out yet. I have no doubt we will be talking about this eventually. Silverbullitt & I will keep bugging you! LOL. Until the thread is moved to the "05-06 Ford GT Tech" section. Usually by now we would have Dr Frank chime in but he's too busy celebrating his birthday!

Ed

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
yep this belongs in the 05 , 06 Tech section.. I think Ford Just cancelled you allocation for a 2017 car for such an Error ...:biggrin:biggrin

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
My mistake fellas. I wasn't paying attention when I posted and not sure how to move it over but it's never too early to start talking maintenance for the NGT for whomever is fortunate enough to get it. Good luck guys!! If someone knows how to move this over to '05-'06, let e know. Thanks.

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
I hope they don't ding me for this one..:confused:confused:confused.
yep this belongs in the 05 , 06 Tech section.. I think Ford Just cancelled you allocation for a 2017 car for such an Error ...:biggrin:biggrin[/Happy B'day cousin!!

Last edited: