GT40 at the Indy Museum

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
So, I saw this sitting in the museum yesterday. No information or description placard, it was just parked alongside other exhibits. The car looked original, but it seemed almost to be a mix of different GT iterations, snorkels at the rear, but only little ones, something a bit different about the front fenders, a black cover hiding the engine, and more bits than usual hanging under the rear valence. Oh, and a hideous colour scheme with matte dayglow green over the base bronze-gold.

I'm sure someone on the forum must know all about it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 431

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
So, I saw this sitting in the museum yesterday. No information or description placard, it was just parked alongside other exhibits. The car looked original, but it seemed almost to be a mix of different GT iterations, snorkels at the rear, but only little ones, something a bit different about the front fenders, a black cover hiding the engine, and more bits than usual hanging under the rear valence. Oh, and a hideous colour scheme with matte dayglow green over the base bronze-gold.

I'm sure someone on the forum must know all about it

Ford GT number 4.JPG

Looks like it could be Mark Donohue and Paul Hawkins car from 1966 GT40 MKII

http://www.exoto.com/s/1/ProductDetails.aspx?Language=en&CategoryId=163&ProductId=1313

Last edited:

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
I saw the car at the Indy vintage car race a couple of years ago. It had a poster of it on the track and a the story about the car. Took a photo of the sign and car but deleted it a few months ago. And Dave you are correct it is a hideous color scheme but it is the real deal. How was your accommodations at the track? What a race and now we all know about fuel economy now!

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
I saw the car at the Indy vintage car race a couple of years ago. It had a poster of it on the track and a the story about the car. Took a photo of the sign and car but deleted it a few months ago. And Dave you are correct it is a hideous color scheme but it is the real deal. How was your accommodations at the track? What a race and now we all know about fuel economy now!

Blake, we were just down from the start/finish line. Really great seats!

Attachments

• Rossi.jpg
    Rossi.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 357

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007

Last edited:

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas

We got to see Florence Henderson, so what else can I say? Weird that the car had no write-up in the museum.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...a black cover hiding the engine...

...perhaps because there was no engine in the car? :shrug

'Hard to tell the car's "ride height" in the back from the photo angle...

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Greg & I were in love with Florence Henderson.

Ed

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Greg & I were in love with Florence Henderson.

Ed

Who wasn't?