Next Gen Corvette Rumors

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Well then Mr. Pockets, good to see you take a peek :biggrin

It took 5+ year for the NSX to show up for sale since the 2012 Super bowl commercial with Seinfeld, Leno and the no. 1 guy on the list. GM needs to get going or kill the project already.

I just hope the darned thing isn't a huge disappointment once it shows up...if it ever does. As Tony mentioned, its introduction has been "two years from now" for the past 12 years or so. The 'mid-engine' rumor mill itself started in earnest way back in 1970, for Pete's sake.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
1970s? Hell, somewhere, someplace around here, I have a late 1960s Motor Trend with a LeMans Blue “Astro Vette” on the cover. The car featured a hydraulic cammed 427, (read mild, ~390 horse) and a Powerglide (or as we used to refer to them, a Slip N Slide) 2 speed transmission. So while Ford was actually making a street GT40 for 1966, a MKlll for 1967, and then a Pantera for 1971, GM kept promising various mid engine Corvettes, even with numerous different engine platforms (Wankel anyone?). Oh well, at least GM gave us the Fiero, right?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
1970s? ...I have a late 1960s Motor Trend with a LeMans Blue “Astro Vette” on the cover...

...which is why I stated, "The 'mid-engine' rumor mill itself started in earnest way back in 1970". As I recall, for a number of reasons (the "Astro" being the main one) many were actually expecting the mid-engine car to debut IN 1970. I know I was...

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
True enough!
I remember going with my oldest brother to a local Mercury dealer in 1971 & seeing a white Pantera in the showroom. For 1971, in an LM dealer, it may as well have been a Saturn rocket. The price? About $9000. A comparable 454 Vette was give or take $6000. To say that my brother knew more about the car than the salesman did is like saying night is dark. But, there it was, & no test drives allowed, especially for a young guy (my brother) with the 69 Mach 1 cooling its heels.
I also remember my brother talking to a local Chevy dealer about it, and the Chevy saleman telling us that the 454 Corvette didn’t need 5 speeds or a mid engine layout. Seriously.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Our local Lincoln dealer allowed wifey and me to take the new '72 Pantera he had on the 'floor out for a spin. 'Aaaaamaaazing car for that day and time. ('Sticker on a '72 Pantera was about $12K?????...or am I confusing it with the sticker on a '72 450 SL???)

On the way back to the dealership, I mentioned to wifey I really liked the car and 'intended to order a silver one. 'Twas then wifey chose to inform me I might want to reconsider that since I was about to become a dad... :wink

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Our local Lincoln dealer allowed wifey and me to take the new '72 Pantera he had on the 'floor out for a spin. 'Aaaaamaaazing car for that day and time. ('Sticker on a '72 Pantera was about $12K?????...or am I confusing it with the sticker on a '72 450 SL???)

On the way back to the dealership, I mentioned to wifey I really liked the car and 'intended to order a silver one. 'Twas then wifey chose to inform me I might want to reconsider that since I was about to become a dad... :wink
...and your pockets have been empty ever since!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...and your pockets have been empty ever since!

No truer words... :facepalm:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Looks real enough.

May 2018 Car and Driver.

Attachments

• B2FDF219-C3BA-4AA0-B74D-FAB95F5836B8.jpg
    B2FDF219-C3BA-4AA0-B74D-FAB95F5836B8.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 73B1E420-A3BD-424B-BC3E-5C02FF468A5D.jpg
    73B1E420-A3BD-424B-BC3E-5C02FF468A5D.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 163

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Saw the article posted on another forum about an hour ago.

'Hoping the rendering isn't too accurate...

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The rear is waaaay too high and bulky.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

...for starters.

Edit: 'Wish I could find the 2 renderings I instantly liked when I first saw 'em on the 'net. One featured both a front and rear qtr view of a yellow 'Vette...the other (my fave) was a single rendering of a more streamlined version (gray or silver, I think).

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

I have said it before, it looks like a warmed over F360. In case you are wondering, that isn't a compliment.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I think it looks pretty good from the nose to the B pillar. From there to the rear it's kind of weird. The huge expanse of sheet metal (fiberglass) from the top of the rear tire to the top of the deck lid is awful. And the massive flat rear misses the mark. Still, those pictures may kill sales of the current Corvette. Who wants to buy the last of the front engine car.

Chip

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
The rear of the car reminds me of a Chevy Volt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Will reserve judgment until I stand next to one.. supercars always look so different in pics vs in the flesh. I mean.. if they ever actually do it.

Some pics of the NGT make it look kinda wonky at some angles but in person it is impossibly low and wide and it all works.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It's an artists rendering not a photo of the real thing. The "On the Cover" caption says "Remember: There is no such thing as a mid-engine Corvette. Illustration by Nick Kaloterakis". At the current rate scientists will clone a Unicorn before a mid-engine Corvette appears.

I'm sure dealers will take deposits though.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Between this rendering and the much slower than expected initial ZR1 Nurburgring lap time, it has not been a great week in Corvette land.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...for starters.

Edit: 'Wish I could find the 2 renderings I instantly liked when I first saw 'em on the 'net. One featured both a front and rear qtr view of a yellow 'Vette...the other (my fave) was a single rendering of a more streamlined version (gray or silver, I think).

I finally did find one version the latter...but, there's a more "streamlined" version I haven't found as yet. Scroll about 1/3rd of the way down:

https://carbuzz.com/news/chevrolet-corvette-c8-mid-engine-racer-coming-soon

Last edited:

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I respect what the vette is, and does, but wouldn't be cought dead owning one. Just not my thing.
I have a C7Z...quite an amazing car actually! There's nothing it doesn't do well...and you can't beat the price. Also very fast and sounds like a gorilla under WOT! It certainly compares favorably to any supercar out there at hundreds of thousands more. Yes, it's still a mass produced Corvette, but it's no slouch under any circumstances....and it's super comfy to drive too. And for not a lot of scratch, you can take 'em well beyond 750 WHP, reliably...just sayin'...

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Best kept secret: New F-GT
Worst kept secret: Mid engine Vette
Longest introduction: New Toyota Supra :rofl