Next Gen Corvette Rumors

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Speculation abounds on program direction, timing and architecture for the next Corvette - nothing new. But one one of the biggest (long term) marketing issues has been product positioning for the respective Corvette and Camaro brands in price, content and targeted customer - always seemingly locked in intra-company battle, competing for the same GM customer. Is there a way out of that? Perhaps there's a clue of how GM may finally be resolving the positioning problem in the excerpt below:

http://www.corvetteonline.com/news/...st-rumors-mid-engine-c8-re-mastered-lt5-e-ray

These rumors imply that the C7 will be the last front-engined, RWD Corvette! We suspect the Camaro, now LT powered with a state-of-the-art chassis, is being groomed to be become Chevrolet’s traditional performance car with the ‘Vette bumped up to supercar status. So, old school sports car guys would have a very capable 4-seat Corvette to choose from (the Sixth Gen Camaro) and a new era, high-end performance guys would have a mid-engined super car to move up to.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Will the new 'Vette come with the asphyxiating fume package?

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Will the new 'Vette come with the asphyxiating fume package?

I believe that is the 'driverless' version. N'est pas?

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Hoohum, hoohum. Boring!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I respect what the vette is, and does, but wouldn't be cought dead owning one. Just not my thing.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
For 40 F***ING years I've been reading about the "upcoming mid engine Vette." Still waiting...

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Seems there was someone here waiting for a new NSX. Now that they're out....

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Autopsy before death? Is that how you guys operate?? ;-))

I'm waiting it out Dr. Franky. You always need to follow 'the process'.

1) GT Application rejected by Ford
2) Post 3 Kleenex rendition of how rejection is manifesting itself in dis-association with Ford brand, transitioning to emotional distress
3) Regularly express above in Sinovac's 'Sour Grapes' thread.
4) Call contact at HPD and secure formal allocation & delivery
5) Obtain new GT Forum ID and post regularly about deficiency of GT to NSX.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
For 40 F***ING years I've been reading about the "upcoming mid engine Vette." Still waiting...

Won't be much longer.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Won't be much longer.

I'm by no means a Chevy guy, but even I have to take notice if they actually come out with it. probably still wont buy it tho.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
I'll take a close look at a mid-engine C8.

I love Ford but I'm not a Chevrolet hater either.

For sure, aesthetics are very important as well as engineering.

Let's see what General Motors comes up with.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I'll take a close look at a mid-engine C8.

I love Ford but I'm not a Chevrolet hater either.

For sure, aesthetics are very important as well as engineering.

Let's see what General Motors comes up with.

I've suggested this before and will suggest again that it's likely a number of diehard Ford loyalists refused a NFGT will, for various reasons, 'defect' to 'the dark side' and buy a new mid-engine 'Vette (wanting a domestic mid-engine V8 being one of them).

Few will likely make a public announcement though - again for various reasons. It's nobody else's business anyway...

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
I haven't been refused (yet!) for the NFGT.

I'll buy the NFGT and C8 if I can and if I like them.

Nor am I defecting to any side, dark or otherwise.

I just love US-made performance cars, that's all.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
A mid-engine Corvette in the low $100k range would be very cool.

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009
I agree although the price will probably be closer to 200K than 100K.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The rumor early on was that a front engine car would continue alongside the mid-engine super Corvette under a new "Corvette" brand. Anyone have any insight on this?

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
A mid-engine Corvette in the low $100k range would be very cool.

$325k, just an educated guess.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
$325k, just an educated guess.

Why would a rear engine Corvette cost $200K more than the current Corvettes? All the parts are the same, they are just located in different places, engine front to back, tranny front to back, everything else, frame, brakes, seats, body, suspension is essentially the same with a little adjustment. I don't get why such a dramatic cost increase.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Why would a rear engine Corvette cost $200K more than the current Corvettes...I don't get why such a dramatic cost increase.

Ditto.

I read somewhere a while back that the C7 chassis was designed from the get-go to facilitate a mid-engine layout down the road. If true, any major 'reworking' of the chassis shouldn't be necessary...and therefore the cost of doing so 'avoided.

So, I'm guessing the 'base factory sticker' will be <$200K. Not by a whole lot...but under (like $175K?). I'll further bet the resulting cost of 'checking every box' will not result in the 'sticker' exceeding $250K.

'Guess we'll see...

(Edit: The above assumes there isn't an endless wonderland of carbon fiber this-and-that from wheels to who-knows-what on the option list.)

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV