Next Gen Corvette Rumors

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
To this point, it pretty much has been...for the money anyway! ;)

When cheap is job #1

I won't even mention how much architecture is lifted from the 351 Cleveland

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
To this point, it pretty much has been...for the money anyway! ;)

You can get a Ford Coyote for about the same price. The only thing the LS has going for it is the compact size.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Maybe Chevy should partner with the Falcon F7 production which already uses a mid-engine Chevy Lingenfelter engine and the factory is located in Michigan. The back of the Falcon F7 looks like a vintage Corvette to me.

falconf7.com/

Last edited:

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
“When cheap is job #1
I won't even mention how much architecture is lifted from the 351 Cleveland.”

Preach Brother! Let it rip!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
“When cheap is job #1
I won't even mention how much architecture is lifted from the 351 Cleveland.”

Preach Brother! Let it rip!

:lol

I will give the LS one accolade. It is a very compact package for it's output.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Not to steal the thread, but I always thought Ford kind of gave up on the Cleveland, outside of the Pantera. I know the timing of the engine’s introduction was poor, basically the end of the performance era, but Chevy really promoted tons of parts and add ons in the dead 70s. Windsor parts were rare in comparison and Cleveland components were non existent, unless one really paid up for it.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Not to steal the thread, but I always thought Ford kind of gave up on the Cleveland, outside of the Pantera. I know the timing of the engine’s introduction was poor, basically the end of the performance era, but Chevy really promoted tons of parts and add ons in the dead 70s. Windsor parts were rare in comparison and Cleveland components were non exisitent, unless one really paid up for it.

All true. Only privateers advanced performance Cleveland technology in the malaise years. Then the NASCAR guys and the factory returned to head development in the 80's. The norm became Cleveland heads on Windsor blocks. Most NASCAR teams now run something very similar to those early Cleveland designs.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Not to steal the thread, but I always thought Ford kind of gave up on the Cleveland, outside of the Pantera. I know the timing of the engine’s introduction was poor, basically the end of the performance era, but Chevy really promoted tons of parts and add ons in the dead 70s. Windsor parts were rare in comparison and Cleveland components were non existent, unless one really paid up for it.

The 'After Sale/Market side of the original part, OEM business, is an entirely different and really interesting thing. For the former Big 3, the Benchmark for revenue, part availability, and margin is MOPAR/JEEP, followed by GM and Ford a distant third. While Ford's FCSD business is a solid annual contributor to Ford earnings, it isn't in the same league as it's former Big 3 competitors. Sadly. lots of missed opportunity there.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Possible engine for the Mid-Engine car?

http://media.cadillac.com/media/us/...s/news/us/en/2018/mar/0321-twin-turbo-v8.html

DOHC with Heads reversed so exhaust exits into the valley where 2 turbos reside. Induction is on the outboard side of the heads.

Kinda like the Ford Indy V-8 from the mid-sixties. Much easier to plumb in a mid-engined car.

Attachments

• 1521467862491 (2).jpg
    1521467862491 (2).jpg
    165 KB · Views: 134

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
DOHC with Heads reversed so exhaust exits into the valley where 2 turbos reside.

'Not sure locating TTs there makes any more sense than locating the starter there (as was the case with the Northstar). One would think it'd make even less sense from the standpoint of heat dissipation...although that's undoubtedly an issue G.M. must have addressed.

'Great from the standpoint of space saving regardless.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
'Not sure locating TTs there makes any more sense than locating the starter there (as was the case with the Northstar). One would think it'd make even less sense from the standpoint of heat dissipation...although that's undoubtedly an issue G.M. must have addressed.

'Great from the standpoint of space saving regardless.

The Hot V layout has been the standard setup for AMG/BMW/Audi for several years now. Great for cold start emissions, nearly zero turbo lag, and for those that like to tinker, turbo swaps are super easy now. Drive an AMG car with their 4.0 TT setup, and you can't help buy be impressed. Sounds and feels like a highly tuned 427.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The Hot V layout has been the standard setup for AMG/BMW/Audi for several years now. Great for cold start emissions, nearly zero turbo lag, and for those that like to tinker, turbo swaps are super easy now. Drive an AMG car with their 4.0 TT setup, and you can't help buy be impressed. Sounds and feels like a highly tuned 427.

'Understood, Doc.

My 'gripe' with the cam valley location is having to take everything off the top end of the engine to get to whatever is down there.

Buuut, everything is a 'trade off'. The trade off in this case is "turbo swaps are super easy now"...and, of course, the space-saving feature in general.