Next Gen Corvette Rumors

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
The car is real, will be a 2019 model and as I understand will race at Le Mans in 2018. Don't ask me how I know cause I don't want to have to kill you.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I just don't see a huge market for a modern 170k-200k vette.

They sell initially and then sit on the lot regardless of iteration and price or performance.

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009

They sell initially and then sit on the lot regardless of iteration and price or performance.

That's true but in the past cars like the ZR1s etc did not have enough cosmetic differences from the base model to justify the price difference in my opinion. Should be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
The car is real, will be a 2019 model and as I understand will race at Le Mans in 2018. Don't ask me how I know cause I don't want to have to kill you.

Steve... how do you know? :eek

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Steve... how do you know? :eek

Jerry,

It was nice knowing you . . . Steve please do it discretely, you know, Luca Brasi like. :secret: :wink

Vince H

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

May I please have $100K worth of that action? :wink

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
When you build 4000 of them for a 1000 car market, that happens.

Doesn't matter in any way to me, don't care how good a vette it is, would never own one. Im a Ford guy.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007

ford comes out with the best mid engine car any US company has ever produced in the modern era and calls the project Petunia!
chevy is about to come out with their first attempt at a modern mass produced mid engine sports car and calls the project Emperor!

two very distinct approaches in thinking, this is why I have always liked ford, like mindedness !

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
When you build 4000 of them for a 1000 car market, that happens.

Doesn't matter in any way to me, don't care how good a vette it is, would never own one. Im a Ford guy.

You're just a snob. GM has a storied history producing wonderful mid-engine cars....Corvair, Fiero..... oh, never mind.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You're just a snob. GM has a storied history producing wonderful mid-engine cars....Corvair, Fiero..... oh, never mind.

Corvair was a rear engine car. I think the Fiero is the only mid-engine car GM put into production. Back in the day some people shoehorned a Northstar V8 into them.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Makes my previous point, these rear engine cars didn't cost $150k in 1960 dollars so why are they so expensive in 2000s?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...these rear engine cars didn't cost $150k in 1960 dollars so why are they so expensive in 2000s?

Inflation aside, the 2 biggest reasons are most likely federal auto safety/mileage mandates and all the 'computer-controlled' modern day bells and whistles that now come 'standard' which didn't even exist back then.

Look at something as basic as the diff in design/materials/technology/manufacturing cost between the shock absorbers made in the '60s and those made today. The same 'reality' applies to darned near every other component of today's cars. (For instance, what would an 8-speed 'paddle shift' transaxle have cost if it had been available in 1960s GT40s vs. the 4 or 5-speed manual used back then? I don't recall things like power windows, power seats or A/C being available as options OR as std equipment in GT40s either! :lol)

'Just my simpleminded analysis. :beer2:

It's 4:30 A.M. I gotta hit th' hay. :facepalm:

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I realize 2016 cars are more expensive than 1960s cars because of gadgets and inflation. What I was alluding to is that the Corvair and Fierro were priced the same as other 1960s cars. They didn't jack up the price $100K-200K just because they moved the engine to the rear. Should be the same with the 2019 Corvette and not the $100K-200K mark up some here have suggested. The price of the 2019 Corvette should be close to the price of the 2016 Corvettes and not more just because they moved the engine. If they change the body to carbon fiber or aluminum from fiber glass, that's another discussion topic.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...The price of the 2019 Corvette should be close to the price of the 2016 Corvettes and not more just because they moved the engine.

If the scuttlebutt about the C7 'Vette chassis being designed from the get-go to incorporate a mid-engine configuration 'down the road' is true, the cost of making the actual switch wouldn't justify adding $100K to the car's 'sticker'. But, even given all that, that's not to say such a markup wouldn't/couldn't happen anyway (for profit/marketing reasons if nothing else).

I'm still sticking to my aforementioned price estimate.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Agree. Gouging is hard to avoid on specialty items, cars or other things. Just trying to point out that just looking at materials costs and engineering a huge increase in price doesn't seem justified.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Agree. Gouging is hard to avoid on specialty items, cars or other things. Just trying to point out that just looking at materials costs and engineering a huge increase in price doesn't seem justified.
Same can be said for iPhones.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I wouldn't own a Chevy but it's cool that my Vette friends will have something cool to own besides us!

Ed

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
I read about the new C7 ZR1 coming out in 4 months as a 2018 MY. Front engine, rwd, 6sp manual/ 8 sp auto, more power, more aero, less weight. It should be interesting. If they only redesigned the rear end !!!
I have my doubts about Chevy coming to the public with a mid-engine Corvette.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...I have my doubts about Chevy coming to the public with a mid-engine Corvette.

I used to hold the same opinion - trust me, but, there are faaar more 'indicators' floating around these days that suggest it's actually going to happen than there ever have been before.

As I've mentioned numerous times previously, I've been waiting for a mid-engine 'Vette since 1970 (as have countless others)...and this time around - for the reason stated (including spy photos, BTW) - I'm actually rather confident we'll be seeing it 'in the flesh' rather soon.

God knows it's looooong overdue.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
If they only redesigned the rear end !!!

I couldn't agree more!