GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
Any ideas how to cancel the light?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Most likely your clamshell or trunk are not fully closed. Open and close both (and while you're at it, the passenger door), but don't treat it like it's a newborn baby. I see people close hoods by lowering them until they touch and then "pressing" it to latch. Try doing it with some authority - lower to about 8-10 inches and then let it fall. I had problems with my clamshell until I started doing that.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Most likely your clamshell or trunk are not fully closed. Open and close both (and while you're at it, the passenger door), but don't treat it like it's a newborn baby. I see people close hoods by lowering them until they touch and then "pressing" it to latch. Try doing it with some authority - lower to about 8-10 inches and then let it fall. I had problems with my clamshell until I started doing that.

what he said!

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
I'll slam harder!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'll slam harder!

No need to slam it. From a height of 6-8" just let them drop. No force, just let gravity work.

Good luck!

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
When we had the GT guys clamshell latch inter-connect (highly recommended btw) - I got the same thing. We of course thought it was related. Couldn't figure it out. Put a OBD scanner and found out it was the front hood (there is a windshield wiper behavior confirmation of this). Was just a coincidence.. Go figure

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Had it recently with the passenger side door.
Did the front and back with no success.
Finally realized that it was after a car show where kids were sitting in the car.
Mark

wheelb

GT Owner
May 22, 2014
Miami Fl
mine did it and it was low battery changed to new optima and done deal .

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
If none of the above work take a look at the switch on the clam latches. I think one of those was loose once for me, if I remember right I just pushed it back in place.

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
When we had the GT guys clamshell latch inter-connect (highly recommended btw) - I got the same thing. We of course thought it was related. Couldn't figure it out. Put a OBD scanner and found out it was the front hood (there is a windshield wiper behavior confirmation of this). Was just a coincidence.. Go figure

Sorry but I don't understand. What is the inter-connect? What is an OBD scanner? Was it a switch in the hood?

Last edited:

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
No need to slam it. From a height of 6-8" just let them drop. No force, just let gravity work.

Good luck!

I really wasn't going to do that but thanks!

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
I'll be checking into this this weekend. Thanks for everyone's help.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The GT Guys in Detroit made a bar that replaces the two clamshell holders with two holders connected by a metal rod. Hence, you only need one hand to open clamshell from either side.

There is an OBD port under the left dashboard. There is an electronic apparatus you can buy that plugs into it and will read error and service codes if something is not working correctly.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
There is an OBD port under the left dashboard. There is an electronic apparatus you can buy that plugs into it and will read error and service codes if something is not working correctly.

The OBDII reader is one of the handiest things you'll have (and not just for the GT). When the "Check Engine" light comes on you can read the code (cause) and clear codes (note 1). Some also do real-time data logging. I got one that plugs in and uses bluetooth to a Android phone for the reader. The app is free (Torque) and the Bluetooth reader was about $20 on Amazozn

(note 1: If you're trying to clear codes, especially evap codes, as part of getting emissions to pass, do not clear codes. Clearing codes erases all of the major systems to recalibrate (e.g., O2, catalyst, evap, etc). That requires the full drive cycle and depending on what driving conditions are needed can take lots of miles in driving normally. The Ford drive cycle is posted on the net and if you target those specific sequences can clear all of the system readiness in under 50 miles). Back to evap: the primary evap code is the gas cap seal, so if it calls for that just replace the cap and run it through that cycle only and it will clear itself without a OBDII clear.

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area

It is the clam shell. I have been closing it as you described, with a gentle touch. I feel a bit skittish about droping it but I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Last edited:

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
If none of the above work take a look at the switch on the clam latches. I think one of those was loose once for me, if I remember right I just pushed it back in place.

I'll check it. Thanks.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State

Good luck!

it might take more force than that. I recently replaced the clamshell struts. Before I could just let it fall into place, but now I have to push it down with force to get both latches to fully lock.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It is the clam shell. I have been closing it as you described, with a gentle touch. I feel a bit skittish about droping it but I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Don't worry about a 6" drop. It's "Built Ford Tough".

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
When you close a door and it doesn't latch, do you abandon the car?

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
I gave it a good 10 inch free fall close tonight. Will have it out this week and see what happens.