New Yellow GT Owner (sort of)

YellGT

GT Owner
May 12, 2016
NJ
Hi guys,
My names Matt. My dad and I just picked up a yellow 2005 Ford GT. Always wanted one and finally bought one. Should be arriving home next week.
Just a couple questions for you guys. There is a small crack on the right side of the rear diffuser on one of the fins. Would anyone happen to know if and where we can get a replacement. Also the emergency brake handle a scratch in it, again would anyone know if and where we can get a replacement.

Thanks

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
A new rear diffuser is pretty pricey. You an patch it yourself with a little fiberglass and paint; BUT if you feel you need new parts, contact Torrie Mcphail at fast parts network, a vendor on this website. Go to the vendors list at the bottom of the page.

YellGT

GT Owner
May 12, 2016
NJ
A new rear diffuser is pretty pricey. You an patch it yourself with a little fiberglass and paint; BUT if you feel you need new parts, contact Torrie Mcphail at fast parts network, a vendor on this website. Go to the vendors list at the bottom of the page.

Thank you. I'll check it out.

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
Congrats and welcome aboard!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Welcome Aboard!! :thumbsup

Consider becoming a subscribing member, and look to meet many of the Ford GT owners at the National Rally, once it is determined where it will be.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Hi guys,
My names Matt. My dad and I just picked up a yellow 2005 Ford GT. Always wanted one and finally bought one. Should be arriving home next week.
Just a couple questions for you guys. There is a small crack on the right side of the rear diffuser on one of the fins. Would anyone happen to know if and where we can get a replacement. Also the emergency brake handle a scratch in it, again would anyone know if and where we can get a replacement.

Thanks

Willkommen.

Honestly, those fins can be repaired. I've seen it done to where you'd never know the difference.

Try asking richbrooks@thegtguy.com or shelby@eliteautosllc.com. I'm sure they've both done it and can tell you how it was done.

YellGT

GT Owner
May 12, 2016
NJ
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone.

DBK, I talked to Shelby before We bought this yellow one. I'll reach out. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Hi guys,

Thanks

Welcome aboard. I was going for a Yellow car when we started searching, but that color got vetoed by my wife.

If you are not concerned about originality, Stillen makes a couple replacement options. (Or at least they used to) The material is a little more forgiving if you happen to get up against something. After braking off a small corner of mine, I replaced them and packed the originals away. It does require a little work to swap them out though.

Jeff

YellGT

GT Owner
May 12, 2016
NJ
Welcome aboard. I was going for a Yellow car when we started searching, but that color got vetoed by my wife.

If you are not concerned about originality, Stillen makes a couple replacement options. (Or at least they used to) The material is a little more forgiving if you happen to get up against something. After braking off a small corner of mine, I replaced them and packed the originals away. It does require a little work to swap them out though.

Jeff

I was actually on stillens website today but rather keep it factory. I did see that stillen makes longer versions which I thought was interesting but my god those must scrap everywhere.

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Welcome to the family. As stated previously, they can be repaired. I have had mine repaired and it looks better than new from the factory. I also have a new one I'm probably going to part with soon knowing they can be repaired. Take the pan off and try to find a good body man that is willing repair it.

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the acquisition. You've come to the right place. Come on out to this years rally and meet a lot of great people. I started 10 years ago, been to every one and haven't met a nicer bunch for real. Best watch out for some guy goes by the name Copenhagen GT or Anders :frown : he can be a bad influence :lol

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...Best watch out for some guy goes by the name Copenhagen GT or Anders :frown : he can be a bad influence :lol

:agree: :lol

but you gotta love that guy more than anyone!!!

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Congratulations on your acquisition and welcome to the best auto board ever.

It's difficult to fly under the radar in a Ford GT, impossible in a yellow one!

All good suggestions on your diffuser, I vote for the repair FWIW.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Hi guys,

Thanks

its a very simple fix, you don't need to buy a new one!

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/12619-diffuser-repair?highlight=

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Congrats and welcome!! We all know yellow is the best color...... Right Frank?

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
Welcome! Best Auto Forum hands down! Post pix when you can! Be Safe!

Hi guys,

Thanks

Welcome! Actually, I found the best guys to repair the diffuser are surf board makers! They work with all kinds of fiberglass, carbon fiber, and gel coats. My local guy fixed mine so that you can not tell there ever was damage, and it was a very reasonable price. You just have to remove the diffuser (a bunch of screws, that's all) and take it in to the shop. A new diffuser is possibly more than you want to spend ...

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Stillen makes replacements that are not as brittle. You have to drill out the rivets and just replace the diffuser parts. A full replacement from Ford includes the diffusers attached to the belly pan part (at least that's what the parts book looks like, I was not able to find just the diffuser itself)

YellGT

GT Owner
May 12, 2016
NJ
At this point looks like we'll repair it not buy a new one. Thanks for all the advice. Really appreciate it!
Hopefully we'll get to the rally one day but we'll see. Looks like a lot of fun from years past.
Also submitted the 2017 application. But with a 6000+ applicants the chances are very small even though we've been buying fords and such since the 60s. Would be great to get a matching pair with the 05'.

YellGT

GT Owner
May 12, 2016
NJ
I'll also post pictures when it gets delivered along with a video. Hopefully getting delivered late this week!