FIA WEC Spa BoP

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Lower your expectations for this weekend. :rolleyes GT now 110 lbs heavier than Aston Martin, ~44 lbs heavier than Ferrari and Porsche.

http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/aston-martin-and-ford-get-bop-changes-for-spa-733307/

Aston Martin and Ford get BoP changes for Spa

The Aston Martin LMGTE Pro cars have been given a weight break ahead of the second round of the FIA World Endurance Championship at Spa this weekend.

The British constructor had a disappointing home event at Silverstone, three weeks ago, where they were unable to get on terms with Ferrari.

The Aston Martin Vanatge V8’s quickest time of the weekend, set by Darren Turner, was 1.8s shy of Gianmaria Bruni’s in the AF Corse Ferrari 488GTE.

Aston have been given a 30kgs weight break this weekend meaning that its final weight will be 1213kgs rather than its base weight of 1243kgs.

This compares to the Ferrari and Porsche which will both run at an unchanged 1243kgs, while Ford runs at 1263kgs.

The Ford GT, which notched up its first ever class win at Laguna Seca last weekend, will have a greater fuel rig restrictor for Spa this weekend.

The adjustment to the diameter of the fuel rig restrictor goes up from 28.8mm to 33.3mm for Spa.The Aston Martin LMGTE Pro cars have been given a weight break ahead of the second round of the FIA World Endurance Championship at Spa this weekend.

The British constructor had a disappointing home event at Silverstone, three weeks ago, where they were unable to get on terms with Ferrari.

The Aston Martin Vanatge V8’s quickest time of the weekend, set by Darren Turner, was 1.8s shy of Gianmaria Bruni’s in the AF Corse Ferrari 488GTE.

Aston have been given a 30kgs weight break this weekend meaning that its final weight will be 1213kgs rather than its base weight of 1243kgs.

This compares to the Ferrari and Porsche which will both run at an unchanged 1243kgs, while Ford runs at 1263kgs.

The Ford GT, which notched up its first ever class win at Laguna Seca last weekend, will have a greater fuel rig restrictor for Spa this weekend.

The adjustment to the diameter of the fuel rig restrictor goes up from 28.8mm to 33.3mm for Spa.

All I can say is I hope this is the last gasp of letting the field get a taste before at a minimum drawing the GT back to level weight for Le Mans. Absolutely absurd to run that much more weight and less power. But hey, at least maybe they can pull out one fewer pit stop...

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
As predicted. We won't see any of these cars run at thier full potential til LeMans when the prestige of the event will outweigh prudence

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
But what a location....

Chn4VZXXIAAq1Ej.jpg:large

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
^^^ yes please....

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
^^^ yes please....

That little hill is a lot bigger than it looks in pictures :lol Flat out through there. :willy

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...Flat out through there. :willy

If you've got the balls! Spa's "Eau Rouge" is one of the most challenging corners in road racing - it has the same austerity as Laguna Seca's "Corkscrew."

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
I'm still learning here but do they pull all restrictions for lemans? That sure is shadey if thats true.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'm still learning here but do they pull all restrictions for lemans? That sure is shadey if thats true.

No, but they will do a post-Spa BoP adjustment.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
***Ford Chip Ganassi Racing WEC team principal George Howard-Chappell told Sportscar365 that its 4.5mm larger refueling restrictor, issued this week in the latest round of Balance of Performance changes, should put them back on even ground with the GTE-Pro competition. Howard-Chappell said they were 3 seconds slower on refueling at Silverstone, which affected race strategy.

***The UK-based Ford squad is coming off a successful 27-hour endurance test at Motorland Aragon last week. All six drivers shared the wheel of a single Ford GT, with no major issues reported. “We completed a run that was comfortably longer than the Le Mans 24 Hours, which gives us great confidence in the reliability of the cars,” Howard-Chappell said.

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
***The UK-based Ford squad is coming off a successful 27-hour endurance test at Motorland Aragon last week. All six drivers shared the wheel of a single Ford GT, with no major issues reported. “We completed a run that was comfortably longer than the Le Mans 24 Hours, which gives us great confidence in the reliability of the cars,” Howard-Chappell said.

Well that is great news.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Dave,

Did you see my Spa Thread ? Still looking for Ford GT fellows that go there ... Planning to come in the GT.

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/aston-martin-and-ford-get-bop-changes-for-spa-733307/

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV

I feel this PC racing really kills innovation. :bored

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I feel this PC racing really kills innovation. :bored

Well in the case of the refueling restrictor, it should allow the GT to get out of the pits a couple seconds earlier. Seems silly to slow the cars down while they literally aren't moving!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Dave,

Did you see my Spa Thread ? Still looking for Ford GT fellows that go there ... Planning to come in the GT.

Let me check Matthias!

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Hoping for a great race... Not a fan of changing BoP each race... seems to be a lot of game playing.

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
No, but they will do a post-Spa BoP adjustment.

So sacrifice SPA to run full out for the big one.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
So sacrifice SPA to run full out for the big one.

Yeah. I'm gonna go ahead and say don't expect on a win this weekend. I don't think it matters anyways, as the WEC BoP is punitive at this point.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Sounds great, thanks.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
It is really sad the cars can't go all out at each race... It's like a long practice session where nobody wants to take the checkered flag in the end for fear of being punished. Kind of like our government punishing those that work hard and long hours and make a good living