Replace emegancy brake boot

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
My emergency brake boot needs to be replaced. What is the procedure for switching it out for a new boot? Is it the same procedure for replacing the gear shift boot? What makes removal of the the parking brake cover challenging?
Paul

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
It is a snap fit, and if you're not used to it, it may be hard to do without damaging the console. Use lots of blue tape.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
It is a snap fit, and if you're not used to it, it may be hard to do without damaging the console. Use lots of blue tape.

Just spring clips, pull strait up grabing it from the center at both the back and front side. It comes right off. If you veer off to the side you may scratch the paint, that's what the blue tape is for.

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
I removed the center console and I don't see snap rings or where a snap ring would mount. Before removing the console, I pulled up the boot. It was not attached to anything but neatly tucked under the console. BTW there were two holes in the rubber boot. Each was caused by two bolts piercing the rubber boot , one located on each side of the base of the emergency brake, fore and aft. I'm going to rubber cap each bolt end to prevent a recurrence.

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
BlackICE Stupid: I never did recognize those spring clips holding the bracket around the emergency brake lever until after I R&R'd the console. I saw that it should be removed in the manual. I even looked at the underside of my console once I pried it off and didn't see them. Today after remounting the console I saw the underside of a console on the net and I saw those clips! Am I going brain dead? What a %@#!* getting that console off and on with the hand brake surround intact and avoiding console damage! Anyway the interior is finally finished.

Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
No, just a case of not seeing it because you already had a picture in your mind of what you were looking for. Sort of the reverse of "selective perception."